About these ads

Welcome Poetry Home with Writer Jeri Walker-Bickett

Jeri WB writes about home with poetry

Jeri WB ties home with poetry well.
(Photo: Jixar, CC BY 2.0, via Flickr)

How wonderful to have a poetry guest to the Parfait table today! The dishes are heaping and my appetite is large – it’s time for a wonderful serving of words.

I am extending a warm welcome to Jeri Walker-Bickett, skilled writer and editor. She also enjoys writing poetry, as she recently told me. Hello smiles! Yes, I have long been a fan of her blog JeriWB, where she offers writing tips, interviews authors and provides great advice for anyone interested in the literary field. So, to find out we have poetic similarities is very cool.

Here is Jeri’s Home or Roam? poem, written in villanelle form. Enjoy, home seeker, enjoy.

Home or Roam?

Why is it I never feel at home?
Forever chasing unrest with ardent ease
Where is it that I want to roam?

Reading various tomes
I find adventure and peace
Why is it I never feel at home?

A pretender who screams, “La vie boheme!”
However daily life brings me to my knees
Where is it that I want to roam?

What is there to gain by flying off to Rome?
There is no use trying to appease
Why is it I never feel at home?

The pursuit of the world’s domes
Eats at my brain like a disease
Where is it that I want to roam?

To dig into the mountain loam
To experience the world in all its degrees
Why is it I never feel at home?
Where is it that I want to roam?
© Jeri Walker-Bickett

Welcome to Jeri WB

Writer Jeri Walker-Bickett

Jeri Walker-Bickett (@JeriWB) writes short stories, creative nonfiction, and psychological suspense. The rough Idaho mining town she grew up in populates her literary landscape. She also works as a freelance editor. You can connect with her at JeriWB and Amazon Author Central.

About these ads

34 Comments

1. Loved reading her poetry and words here today and definitely an amazing guest post. Definitely made me wonder where I do feel at home. Most days it is with my husband and kids, but every once in awhile, I would love to roam a bit, too :)

• Janine, I just never seem to feel settled, especially since making a cross country move twice in two years. Not to mention I may have to move again before this year is over. I love to travel, but moving, not so much…

2. Home, such a meaningful word. Yes I agree with Janine´s comments above..
    What is home?. I think it is the place where we feel better, happier and really free…

Jeri is certainly good with words, and this is something that is shown here in her brief poem, just tossing aside here career and job as a freelance writer.
    Being the first time I read something of her autorship I want to congratulate her… !

Great guest post Christy, Aquileana :)

• Aquileana, I agree with how you define home. I felt the the best, happiest, and most free when I worked summers in Yellowstone National Park for three seasons straight. Those years were so great in so many ways. In a way, I think I’m always searching for the perfection of those months.

3. Christy, thanks so much for having me today. Like I mentioned earlier, I don’t get to write poetry nearly as often as I would like, and your blog has certainly played a role in reawakening that desire.

4. Jeri Walker-Bickett, I really enjoyed this….. It explains wanderlust, an affliction, a blessing, a joy, a curse at times. I want to live everywhere and can live anywhere….. Sounds strange doesn’t it?

5. Great poem Jeri. You always remind me of thr roots I have laid down. Maybe soon I will find the freedom to roam the world again.

6. The Regular Guy NYC

/  February 11, 2014

Great guest post. This made me want to get up and explore. I think we all make excuses to not roam a bit more. I just wish I had more time to do it! Home is where the heart is as the saying goes.

7. ah Jeri, you describe my ‘itchy’ feet syndrome to perfection, Roam or Home? Roam, to return home feeling ‘I did it ‘ and I CAN do it again. :-) xPenx

8. A question many of us ask ourselves, beautifully asked here. Sometimes I feel more at home when I roam than I do in my own home. How is that possible I keep asking myself. :)

9. D.G., I’m mostly a homebody, but when I do travel I go after the task like it’s my last breath of air. It’s certainly when I feel the most alive, so probably also why I feel most at home exploring new places.

10. “the mountain loam” speaks to my heart. A good walk in the woods is a perfect way to settle my own personal restlessness.

Blessings ~ Wendy

• Wendy, I’ll always feel drawn to the mountain since I grew up in north Idaho. Yet, more and more I’m finding I like the desert too. Something about the starkness of the landscape really appeals to me.

11. How well I understand the need to wander, that restlessness of spirit. Nicely done, thank you both.

• Valentine, I often wonder if I would make a good extended-stay traveler. So far, the longest trip I’ve taken was two weeks, which felt like forever at times. I suppose a different rhythm is needed for truly long trips.

12. Arlee Bird

/  February 13, 2014

I relate to this. I love traveling, but I’m a real homebody too. I can feel at home for a while then my wandering mind wants to take me away on another adventure. I guess some of us are like this.

Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

13. I love villanelles. And this is a good one Jeri. You really captured the feeling of unease and being torn between travel enjoying where we are(at home). The pull of each can be strong and disquieting. Lovely to read your poetry. I didn’t know you published it. Thanks so much. Also great to discover Christy Birmingham’s site.

• Kathy, I only dabble in poetry, but am making an effort to write more of it. It’s good to know I’ve brought you to Christy’s site. She’s very talented and her blog has motivated me to make more time for poetry in my life.

14. Reblogged this on POETRY PERFECTED and commented:
    I am a friend of both Jeri’s and Christy’s. I wanted to share the love; they’ve shared theirs with me on a few occasions! Enjoy!

15. Jeri, your unease is very common. Many creative types feel this way. I know you speak from the heart in your poetry, as do I. Like 95.5% of the time, anyway!

Nicely done.

BTW, I re-blogged this on Poetry Perfected!

16. Roaming and wanting to roam is worth celebrating, as long as we don’t expect any specific location (“Rome”) to be an answer. It’s possible to feel at home while roaming.

1. All for Show: Syllabic Poetry by JeriWB #CreativeWriting - JeriWB