Friendly In An Electronic Way

WordPress and I are friends. Good friends. We’ve moved past the acquaintance phase and into the realm of friendship.

Friend versus acquaintance? How do I know for sure? Lists are helpful, let’s try making one.

• We have spent hours alone together
  • I have expressed frustration and joy in the presence of WordPress
  • I am getting to know the inner workings or insides of WordPress. I liken the “category” options of the program to feelings.

English: WordPress Logo English: WordPress Log...

Image via Wikipedia

we are definitely friends.

Poets And Electronics

Poetry in the modern age.

Poets use computers, related software, and recording devices to organize themselves and get the thoughts out of their heads. The technology allows for quick release of thoughts into recorded form, resulting in one poem or even several of them. Now whether the poems will ever see the light or an audience is another topic altogether …

While helpful, there is likely much stress for a poet when the computer gets a glitch or worse yet a virus. We often depend on computers as a part of our writing process. If I was apart from WordPress however would I survive?

But add perspective. Absolutely I would still get through my day. I know this. Yet despite my struggles with figuring out WordPress I would be sad to lose my friend.

This is christyb, I am giving human traits to electronics.

Are you a writer who depends on your computer? Do you have a close relationship with WordPress or other programs? Am I still typing?

31 thoughts on “Friendly In An Electronic Way

1. lorrelee1970

Yes. I still like to write things down the old fashion way, but I’m very attached to my computer. I even received a program this christmas so I can talk into a headset and the computer can type. How crazy is that?

1. christyb Post author

Wow how are you liking that program? I bet it saves your wrists and gives your fingers a break. Nice to have the variety for ways to enter text into the computer!

1. lorrelee1970

Sorry I’ve been gone so long. I really need to find a better system of keeping up. I have the Dragon Naturally Speaking program. I’ve only used it once so far, so I’m getting adjusted to the commands, but it’s pretty cool. It’s not recognizing allmy words, but it makes it easier to complete a first draft. I definately talk and think…faster than I type.

1. christyb Post author

I have heard about ‘Dragon’ from a few people now. I am thinking that if I do get a program that will be the one I will look to first. I left you a comment on another post just now saying no need to apologize. I understand when life gets busy blogs become second, especially in the case of family. You stop by when you are able and know you are always welcome!

Hahaha, Christy, a refreshing and delightful post! Me and my computer are definitely BFFs, and I would be sorely bereft if we ever parted ways. And just in case it decides to take an unscheduled vacation, I’ve printed out all my poems and drafts of my book (always have a Plan B, C and D!), and keep reams of paper and lots of pens handy. I’ve also become close friends with wordpress – I would really be at a loss if that one decided to take a hike! Lorrelee, I still need to investigate the speech recognition program on my laptop, so that on days where my hands hurt too much to type, I can still ‘write’ (thanks for the reminder). Wonderful post, Christy, you made me smile today, thank you! ~ Julie 🙂

1. christyb Post author

Awe Julie you make me smile as well. Thank-you for always stopping by! Funny I wrote similar to Lorrelee about giving my wrists a break, now if I could only get a mental break in soon too! 🙂

3. Jesse

I must admit that Word Press and I are pretty close friends. I mean, really close. I’d probably ask ol’ WordPress to marry me, but I realize that it’s pretty unfaithful and is running around with a bunch of people and marriage is totally out of the question becuase Unfortunately when it comes to writing I’m sort of the jealous type who has a favorite pen and a favorite spot in the library that doesn’t like to share. So I’m left as “good friends” which is alright because anything past “good friends” would probably end up costing me money.

1. christyb Post author

Jesse, Thanks for stopping by! Your comment made me laugh, yes WordPress is not just a two-timer but more like a thousand-timer (and then some!). Your photo of Bob Ross, I recognized him right away. Very clever.

4. Raymond alexander kukkee

Word Press and I have been formally introduced in some market niche website writing, but not officially engaged yet. Everyone says she is prettier than Blogspot, but certainly not prettier than ChristyB, or as creative. Great read, ChristyB!
    @ Lorre, did you get Dragon Naturally Speaking? According to one of my friends, it works amazingly well but doesn’t always translate what is said properly; ‘sound alike’ words are bad. We must assume the context recognition becomes over-excited by beauty or something. “:)

1. christyb Post author

Raymond, you have me blushing with your compliments! Thank-you. Your comment about the voice recognition software has me wondering if people with strong accents have problems being understood correctly by the program.. I would like to learn more about it myself.

5. loiswstern

Christy, I love the way you personalize computer technology in general and WordPress in particular. I could identify with that, having struggled through the learning stages with Word press.

Thanks for sharing!

1. christyb Post author

Thanks MB! I like seeing your face.. er I mean your dog’s face… no seriously nice to see you here. Oh dear I think your keyboard will be jealous.. And without the computer I never would have gotten to know you! Hard to imagine…

6. simon7banks

Ah, but would you tell WordPress the most intimate and private things, things you wouldn’t want the vast majority of your acquaintances to know? That’s a test of friendship. Unfortunately, WordPress is a gossiper. Whatever you tell him/her, others soon know.

I’m happy writing prose fiction straight on to the computer and (I believe, I pay for it) I have a backup that would kick in for any computer disaster. I would not like to compose poetry straight on to the computer, but it’s great to see it transcribed there.

1. christyb Post author

Simon, your comment leaves me thinking about privacy issues.. Or the lack of privacy discretion some bloggers use when composing their posts. Some use WordPress as a means to tell the world about their day, even the intimate details. And no don’t expect that from me! I will let you see my character and some details but privacy is important for a reason. Thanks for your comments!

7. Warrior Poet Wisdom

I’ve never felt so connected with readers of my writing as I have thanks to WordPress. It’s so much more genuine than Facebook, which most people simply use to click a “like” button. And it allows for thoughts deeper than one sentence such as on Twitter.

WordPress users always have such eloquent and soulful responses. It’s inspiring right back to have so many express what your work means to them on a daily basis. Truly my favorite form of social networking.
    Peace & grace,
    ~Miro

1. christyb Post author

Oh yes I like that! Love would show an extreme ‘like’ or perhaps two thumbs up instead of one. Thanks Miro for the taking the time to read and share again 🙂

8. Karen

Hi Christy! I love your post. WordPress and I are still in the “aquaintance” phase. I only recently jumped feet first into the world of blogging.

While I do a lot of “Pre-writing” with the good, old-fashioned tools (I love my notebooks and pens) I use my computer and now, my smartphone loaded with Evernote, pretty heavily for my writing endeavors.

1. christyb Post author

Hi Karen, Thanks for stopping by my space to visit! Pull up a chair and have a look around. WordPress is patient and dependable so you are in good hands. Jump in to the blogging pool, have fun, and let me know if you need help along the way!
      christyb

9. Dana

I heart WordPress. A lot. WordPress is like my official mistress- I love it that much!

I have no idea how I ever used to manage writing by putting a pen down to paper. Blogging (and computers in general) allow me to be more circular in my thinking and my creative process– in a good way! I’m always revising as I go along, so if I had to go back to pen and paper, I’d just make a gigantic mess. WordPress and I are BFFs. 🙂

1. christyb Post author

Ah yes the computer has allowed us to get our thoughts out quicker onto the keyboard, or at least as quickly as our fingers are able to type. Backspace is a favourite cousin of mine! I hear that you love WordPress, could we take turns sharing?!

10. L.

Same here, still working out the kinks and new at all of this blogging. Hopefully more will respond as I go along. Using FB has been another venue I’ve been toying with.

1. christyb Post author

Yes L these is so much to learn about these different programs isn’t there? WordPress is a hard-to-know gal but warms right up to you if you give her time!

11. Thomas Davis

Hmmm, would I get along without wordpress as a writer? The truth is that although I use the computer to compose sometimes, other times I do it the old fashioned way with a pen in hand. I sometimes believe the poems I write the old fashioned way are better than those I write using a computer. Most of the sonnets I’ve posted have been written with a pen; the epic I am putting up now is written on the computer. Maybe a writer is a writer.
    But, what I would miss is the readers you find on wordpress. They are important. I would also miss comments made by readers. I have published books with publishers, but that is mostly frustrating. I like wordpress better.
    This is a good post.

1. Christy Post author

Thanks Thomas! How nice that you are taking time to read and comment. I also like the feedback and it means so much to me when readers explain how the words have affected them. I think it is good to have the variety of both handwritten and typed pieces of work. Your posts are great so keep on with your current process, it works well for you!