Vagabond

Today I feature a poem written by a new friend, Sylvia L. Ramsey.

This is christyb I like making new friends.

Sylvia is admirable for her poetry as well as her courage in surviving hardships along her road of life.

Sylvia is a survivor of bladder cancer and looks at the experience as an opportunity for learning in her life. She serves as the Vice-President of the American Bladder Cancer Society, offering support to those who have experienced bladder cancer as well as raising awareness for the cancer. All of her royalties go to the American Bladder Cancer Society.

I immediately felt a closeness to this particular poem on many levels.

A Tired Vagabond

When my feet grow too weary of walking

Sylvia L. Ramsey

Sylvia L. Ramsey.

through endless time and change,

When the wonder of life is gone

and everything seems foreign or strange,

When I have played the sense-song through

and wearied of its themes,

When I have lived life more vividly

than all my maddest dreams,

Then I will gather all I love

around my banquet board.

And when the songs have all been sung

and all the wine has been poured,

When I have crashed my goblet on the floor

and have watched the crimson seep,

Then through destiny’s door will I slowly leave

with reluctant silent feet.

© 2012 Sylvia L. Ramsey

Sylvia speaks of all that one wants to accomplish before the end of life. One will realize the end of life is here when personal dreams have come true, change has grown “weary,” and senses have experienced a full spectrum.

Even then, when the time has come, “reluctant” will one be to meet the end. The poem speaks to me of enjoying life and all the accomplishments to be met during one’s lifetime. The joy of life is apparent.

To feel one has lived a fulfilled existence is the end goal.

Having myself experienced two forms of cancer, I understand that health is to be enjoyed and the present day is not to be taken for granted.

The poem was originally published in Sylvia’s poetry book “Pulse Points of a Woman’s World” in 2004. The book, complete with illustrations, is available online through Barnes&Noble and Amazon. Her next book “Traveling a Rocky Road with Love, Faith and Guts will be released in about six weeks.

What part of the poem resonates with you?

27 thoughts on “Vagabond

1. Raymond alexander kukkee

This is a beautiful poem Sylvia, —and special analysis, Christyb…… Both are wonderful.
    Whether we are survivors or not,
    ” Then through destiny’s door will I slowly leave with reluctant silent feet ”

is a poignant statement of closure, universally understood.
    Great job! Christyb, you are clearly listening…. “:)

1. christyb Post author

Yes Raymond I listen for words of wisdom and when I find them I spread them as I am able. The power of the written word! I am glad the poem resonated with you Raymond. Thank-you for your kind words toward my post as well! Is that an Incoming I hear…

2. Sylvia Ramsey

Thank you Christy for your gracious offer to share one of my poems. . My new book Traveling a Rocky Road with Love, Faith and Guts is one about survival,and I hope it will be inspirational to others. A Tired Vagabond is also in this new book as well as several other poems. If you want to know more about me or the book, you can learn more on my book’s blog at:

Thank you again.
    Sylvia

1. christyb Post author

Sylvia, I was delighted to read your poem and to be able to connect with you. I am thankful to have a platform upon which to meet motivational writers such as yourself and my followers. I am glad you stopped by to comment and glad you enjoyed the way I presented your poem!

3. Marc Phillippe Babineau

Great poem, great analysis! I too know the ravishes of cancer all too well, and that part about leaving through destiny’s door.. brings back pictures of the children in the cancer wards – always bright and cheerful, whereas the elderly patients were all cranky and dejected.

1. christyb Post author

Perhaps we can take a lesson from the children, becoming more involved in the present moment as we never know when the ride will end… Thanks Marc for stopping by and for the encouraging words!

4. mywithershins

Thanks for sharing, Christy. The beginning, ‘When my feet grow too weary of walking…’ reminds me of my mother who gave up on a life of constant back pain and a growing inability to eat without choking (paralyzed vocal chords as a result of radiation therapy for throat cancer thirty years earlier). She would not accept the option of a feeding tube which would limit her activity – and she was tired of feeling pain. Three morphine patches on her back was still not enough to bring her any comfort, so she just stopped eating. It was tough to watch her waste away. Fortunately, it did not take long, but it was still hard to let her go.

1. christyb Post author

Mywithershins, thank-you for sharing your experience. We are faced with so many struggles and cancer, whatever form it takes, is certainly a stone cast on us. We need to gain the courage to move that stone or we will bump against it continually without moving past. I am glad you were there for your mother the entire way, showing her the love that she so needed.

5. valentinelogar

Thank you so much for sharing this, I won’t go into my own survival story or the story of my father here. Just say the poem spoke to me on different levels and for different reason, my feet aren’t weary yet but there are days, there are days.

I am going to look for the books, I suspect the rest will have something to say as well.

1. christyb Post author

Valentinelogar, I am glad you were able to connect with the poem and the post in general. Poems really do speak to each of us in their own unique way, I always marvel at that. I too look forward to reading more of Sylvia’s poetry. Strap on a good pair of runners and let’s get cracking on this journey of life!

6. Red

“Then I will gather all I love around my banquet board.” This is the line which most spoke to me. It reminds me of the last visits where those who have spent a lifetime mired in their own important business come to call to pay respects, sincere or otherwise.

Excellent poem.
    Red.

1. christyb Post author

Sylvia will be pleased with the rave reviews of followers here! The poem holds so many nuggets of wisdom. Yes when death’s door is calling those who come knocking do not always have your best interests in mind… although that may be hard to see when you are faced with so much at the time.

1. Sylvia L. Ramsey

Christy,
        I am amazed at all the comments on the poem. I wrote that when I got my diagnosis of cancer. However, this is one I wrote when I decided I would not be a victim of my own self-pity. It is also in both of the books. I keep it hanging on the wall by my computer.

Armor for Survival

with these
        three gifts,
        I need not fear
        tomorrow, nor, tomorrow.

Copywright Sylvia L. Ramsey 2004

1. christyb Post author

Sylvia, This poem is an inspiration. A few years ago I was at a darker place that I hope never to return. Faith brought me now to a brighter area where I can express myself and learn to be more in the moment. While I am still on a journey I hope I will gather those three gifts you speak of to keep my strong as I walk forward.
          Thank-you again for sharing your words and having the courage to help others.

2. HINES

Yes, yes, and yes!
          Very nicely said and kudos for actually doing it. Words are wind but wind in action is a powerful thing.
          Thank you for sharing.

2. Red

Ironically, Christy, at the time, it was blatantly obvious to see. Even when my husband had a hard time from day to day remembering who I was, he noticed how out of place some of the people who came to “visit” were. Whether he knew or not, I knew they were there to assuage whatever demons they feared would haunt them post mortem.

<<<Horrifically pragmatic.
        Red.

1. christyb Post author

Yes and perhaps they also wanted to put on a show for any spectators. I am glad you saw through their actions Red and are stronger for it.

7. Casandra Miska

Thank you for sharing Sylvia’s poem. The part of “A Tired Vagabond” that resonated with me was the phrase “When I have played the sense-song through and wearied of its themes.” My mother died 25 years ago, and I remember her saying that she would run life’s experiences through her mind, but due to her illness became to wearied or tired to even speak or go on. It is sobering to think our humanness comes to that level at times, but I appreciate Sylvia writing about it. Putting words to the feelings are helpful for others who want to be of comfort, if possible.

1. christyb Post author

Thanks Casandra for first introducing me to this poem. The words certainly are sobering, but hopefully readers find comfort in being joined by someone else who has experienced similar emotions. I am sending you a hug my friend, and will chat more with you soon.

8. christyb Post author

Hines, You are quite right that words can often be spoken without any action following after them. Glad you enjoyed the read and I can tell that your wind is a kind one.