Heart Artwork

Valentine Time

Wishing you all a wonderful day, whether a couple, single, in bed, out on the town… Well you get the picture. And here is the frame for the photo of your day.

This is christyb and I am sending out a poem for Valentines Day.

You and I and Us Β

Happy Valentines Day

I wonder.

As I push back my sheets

And put on my trusty slippers

I wonder where you are,

I wonder if we have already met.

Have you seen me as I shop

For my weekly selection of fruit

Or will we meet for the first time next week

As both instant friends and more?

Until we meet, until we hold hands

For the first time,

I will keep smiling and try my best

To love myself,

To love my hair, my heart, my voice.

For my love is genuine

And my arms are open wide,

I want my arms to avoid another disappointment

But mostly I want to make myself proud.

Β© 2012 Christy Birmingham

36 thoughts on “Valentine Time

Lovely poem, Christy, I’m so glad you’ve started sharing yourself more with us in your poetry – and it really is lovely to read. I have absolutely no doubt you will make yourself proud, my friend. You have a lot of love and wisdom to share, with a very generous scoop of humor thrown into the mix – how could you not make anyone, including yourself, proud of that? Sending you lots of positive thoughts, love and best wishes for a Happy Valentines Day! ~ Julie πŸ™‚

1. Christy Post author

Julie, thank-you for the lovely sentiments! I remember how nervous I was when I first shared a poem and it is nice to be so well received. Humour is a necessary ingredient and I’m happy to throw it into the mix! Happy Valentines to you as well xx

1. Jemmy Farmer

Hi Christy

I much enjoyed your poem, but I thought I would reply here as I remember those first time nerves too, still get them too but I think that is part and parcel of being a poet. I hope Valentine’s treated you well

Jemmy x

1. Christy Post author

Hi Jemmy, Thanks for stopping by! I think we get the nerves as our work is near to our hearts and we are a little unsure of the reactions from readers. Valentine’s was good thank-you, I hope there are less calories for chocolates consumed that day!

1. Christy Post author

Perhaps a hopeless romantic? Although my experiences have not all been positive I am not willing to give up hope. I wish you much love MB, I really do cherish our friendship.

2. Joyce

Beautiful poem Christy and I just know it comes from the depths of your heart. You are such a beautiful person and I know you will find that perfect “someone” to love you as much as you love others. Happy Valentines Day to a wonderful lady.

1. Christy Post author

Awe Joyce, how wonderful that you have stopped by to comment. I hope your day has been a nice one as well. I will not let myself become hardened beyond love yet I have become stronger in many ways over the last few years. Your support means so much to me xx

1. Christy Post author

Thanks Angie. I’ll keep smiling and doing what I like doing, you’re quite right that the best things don’t come when we are out searching (well at least not very often). Take care

3. Eric Alagan

Dear Christy,
    With every passing day, we get closer to our soulmate – of this I am convinced. Meanwhile, we love ourselves – God’s creations – how can we be anything less.
    Peace and luv, Eric

1. Christy Post author

Much peace and luv back to you Eric. Although we struggle internally we need to take your words of peace and settle into who we are. We need to accept ourselves and let others accept us too. Thank-you for making time to stop by and read today.

To love and accept ourselves and then to share.. these are gifts Christy.. And your gifts of words are showing that with each letter.. we all grow a little closer in that understanding of giving.. ~Love to you too xx Hugs.. ~Sue

5. Thomas Davis

I was so lucky to find love so early in my life–and it’s lasted for a glorious 44 years so far. Long-term love is not so common today as it was when I was young, but it still happens, and whatever the risks involved, it is worth the days of binding. This is a wonderful poem: Part pizzazz with a touch of perkiness, part the good humor buried in a parfait, part longing, part courage facing a future dancing before your eyes, and part wonderful.

Yes, the poem is bits and pieces of relationships, love, and self-importance. A mixture as you say! I like the descriptions you provide Thomas and congratulations on the wonderful relationship you have enjoyed for the 44 years.

If your arms are wide open, your love is genuine and you feel well and even proud of yourself you just wonΒ΄t be disappointed. Love wouldn’t let you down, given all these conditions
    Neither wonΒ΄t do it your trusty ticky slippers ! .
    Happy Valentine’s day Christy; Aquileana πŸ˜‰

That’s wonderful, Aqui!! Love is worth the risk of disappointment, anyways πŸ™‚ You make a good point about genuine love though – thank-you!

How wonderful that I mentioned the slippers too – and that was long before we even met! Aha, a truly BOOM time! Happy After-Valentine’s-Day-Same-Love Day!! xoxo

Chris…

I know that was a BOOM detail, right… πŸ™‚
        “Love is worth the risk of disappointment”, yes you are right. As Corneille has said “Life is a risk”. Do you remember that quote?… Anyway at least for me loyalty and trust are my main values, so as a friend I will do my best (and even more) to never ever let you down.

Have a beautiful week ahead !;

Aquileana πŸ™‚