A Pain In The Tax Bracket

Pink Pearl Eraser

Pink Pearl Eraser at Tax Time.

Tax Time

She is preparing for tax time

Forms, pencil, and a new Pink Pearl eraser

All lined up

At perfect angles from each other

Yet several degrees from her mind.

Numbers, equations, and receipts,

Crumpled invoices in the back of drawers,

She would pull out her hair

But she needs to preserve the few strands

That are still dark brown naturally.

She opens the booklet

And writes down her address,

Ah yes I am here, she thinks,

I bought this house

I must be able to figure out these numbers by myself.

With a laugh, a sigh, and a hand that feels a bit lighter,

she continues on to the next line

And on to her next thought.

© 2012 Christy Birmingham

Obstacles are not easy by nature, says christyb. Nurture yourself and remember you WILL get through the difficult times.

29 thoughts on “A Pain In The Tax Bracket

1. Marc Phillippe Babineau

“Should 5 percent seem too small, be thankful I don’t take it all, ’cause I’m the taxman..” (The Beatles)

Great, timely poetic post! Good job, Christy! And, when can we expect some of those beautiful BC coastal pictures from where you live to start popping up on your new posts?

1. Christy Post author

I like that Beatles song, a fan I am. Thanks for the kind words. You have to bear with me my dear, be patient. I am writing, eating chocolate, smiling… there is only so much time in the day!

1. Christy Post author

The eraser is my right-hand man at tax time. No two ways about it. I think erasing the negatives would only keep us from realizing how wonderful the positive moments really are. What is that phrase, “take the good with the bad…” Thanks Casandra for all your support, hugs.

1. Christy Post author

Thanks Dana! I start out thinking it’s a big assignment and at the end, when it’s done, I think why yes it really was a big hard assignment. Sigh it has to be done but you’d think I’d get better at it over the years… I want to have your end feeling! hehe

2. Red

I have absolutely no doubt why I abandoned my accounting degree. I despise doing my own taxes. I have to marvel at the masochistic tendencies of CPA who only do taxes. *Shudder*

Loved this. Especially the distraction.
    Red.

3. raymond alexander kukkee

I really like this poem, Christyb….I use tax software now, saves ripping out the hair, changes are instantaneous throughout the whole form–no recalculating, and I have more time to read stuff like your beautiful poems….”:) Is that incoming I hear? “:)

1. Christy Post author

Awe thank-you Raymond. The cookie monster is here:) I like reading your generous comments. The software sounds wonderful and a way to get around the scheduled headaches!

4. nigelld

I went through that in January for my wife’s tax form filling in noodles and noodles of forms and ended up declaring something I didn’t need to until next year. duh!

5. mywithershins

The truth in this post speaks for itself! I HATE doing taxes, so I let my husband do mine. He is so much better with numbers than I am, since I am pretty sure I am mathematically Dyslexic! The worst things for me to do when I was a Brownie leader was fundraising and filing my year-end financial report. I’d get so stressed I’d make huge mistakes and one year even thought I was over a hundred dollars in the hole! My hubby came to my rescue and discovered I had put some things in the wrong column. Whew! Hope you manage to get yours filed successfully and don’t have to give the tax man any more than neccessary! 🙂

1. Christy Post author

Oh boy do I feel your pain! A royal pain trying to crunch those numbers… and I insist on doing it myself by hand each year! Like I will get an award or… oh dear. I’m glad your husband came to your rescue. Now if he ever wants to do mine for me… hehe

6. Pingback: Saturday Evening Post « Momma's Money Matters

Hummm Tax returns!…Lets leave them shall we… hummmm except then we get fined! they say you can never bear the Tax Man.. I have often wondered though Christy Who Keep Books on the Taxman and regulates them?? Laws within Laws and Rules within Rules… and I too Chrsty turn to my next thought! 😉 xx
    Great little poem Christy xx

1. Christy Post author

Thanks Sue. Ah yes the taxman. What I wonder is why is it the ‘taxman’ and not the ‘taxwoman’. Well we don’t have to get the taxes done today so let’s stop and relax for a few minutes instead 🙂

8. Thomas Davis

A universal poem, Christy. Why is it when we have to do a task that has to be done, but we don’t want to do it, our thoughts wander around like a mouse finding its way through a maze?