Expiry Dates

A lot of items have expiry dates. What about relationships? And feelings?

Today I played around with a few words and created a new poem.

The Limited

You are a limited time offer,

Expires November 20th, 2012,

I want to call today to buy your style

And your home,

Call to ask you to make an “us”,

All I ask for is another serving,

So tell me,

Is the price acceptable to you?

© 2012 Christy Birmingham

Expiry Date

Expiry date.

36 thoughts on “Expiry Dates

Wow, Christy, what a unique and thought-provoking – and somewhat disturbing – concept about an approach to relationships! And while the thought is unsettling, you have a keen perception, and have spoken an unfortunate truth. I’m sure that more than one person has had similar thoughts at one time. Really well done, my friend. ~ Love, Julie xox

Thanks Julie. There is certainly an uneasy element here. New perspectives have a way of making you ponder a little while… Expiry dates do not just apply to material items and I wanted to explore that concept in the poem. Thanks for your great comment!

2. simon7banks

Marc – the world wide webby thing is called a duck.

Christy – this is brilliant. The wry tone is very well done, the irony and the sense of measurement and commercialism being applied where they don’t belong – but after all, human bodies like any other living organism have an expiry date (we just can’t read it, like those bar codes for prices) and relationships do involve some specific understandings.

Thank-you Simon. Your descriptions are exactly what I was intending to describe with my poem. The commercialism aspect you caught spot on. How great to see my message received by such a keen eye! Some of us would have rather complex bar codes I’m afraid…

Hehe Jane, you spit out the words yet you seem to have savoured them in your mind for a few minutes as you wrote this comment! Thanks for the compliment and the read, you are a good friend.

3. Raymond Alexander Kukkee

Christyb, how beautiful and eloquent! Simon said it best: Brilliant!” It seems my friend Christyb is paying attention to expiry dates, for in humanity there is a universal expiry date.
    How about ‘best before’ dates? “:)

Well Raymond my ‘best before’ date continues to change as the days bring new challenges and also new reasons to smile 🙂 What a great comment you have left for me. I am glad you enjoyed my poem. christyb is listening to the ‘Incoming’…

4. Miro

Very intriguing. You have to wonder how many more people who appreciate everything more if they knew the exact date it would expire; their relationships, their jobs, their own health…
    Great work Christy!

Sue, I do not doubt that your beautiful spirit shines through and you are absolutely stunning in person. I expire nightly to bed and rise refreshed in the morning, no mirrors needed 🙂

5. granbee

Wonderful concept: expiration dates on accepting an offer, an invitation–relationships themselves! Pretty original and inspired thinking here, it seems to me, dear ChristyB

6. Dana

I like this a lot, Christy. Very thought provoking (and yes, a little disturbing!) I had never thought about expiry dates for feelings, relationships, etc.

7. lostupabove

We’re not just items having a date-time stamp, nor are our partners. Whatever we make of our relationships is in our and their hands.

Good one… Genuine relationships don’t expire I believe even if they might change and/ or become less intense.
    Happy almost friday to you. Hugs,
    Aquileana 😀

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
    Admit impediments. Love is not love
    Which alters when it alteration finds,
    Or bends with the remover to remove:
    (William Shakespeare. Sonnet 116)

Ohhh yes, that Sonnet is amazing and thanks for linking it to my poem (humbled by it!) – Hugs for Friday 🙂 Thanks for taking time to see our friendship without the expiry date, dear Aqui xo