A Dad’s Journey

Hello, my friends. I thank you for your patience as I take time for personal situations between posts here. I wish a wonderful Father’s Day to all of you, and to my own Dad!

Here is a poem I dedicate to my Dad x

My Dad and I in 2009. Photo credit: Christy Birmingham

Tender Hands

Dad reaches for my hand, with
A slow but determined move,
Like a chess game in progress –
Only these stakes carry so much more weight. Human weight.

His grip on my hand is tight and intense
Like his journey from hospital to home, and like
My own journey from worries in my head to love in my heart.

I tell him that I love him
(To comfort myself as much as him)
And I hope the words reach hold of the hands above
And clasp his health as tightly as my dad holds my hand now.

I kiss Dad on the cheek and say goodnight
While he protects his chest scar with its stitches still so tender
And as he breathes in the dull pain of recovery.

Goodnight Dad, we will talk tomorrow;
Tomorrow I will say hello to a man so brave and
So strong beyond his hands,
A man who is strong beyond his fears,
Who inspires me in his strength and kindness.

For my own journey continues today,
And I squeeze his hand again to reassure us both,
Hoping that my fingers will help him to heal
And that hands above will hear my softly spoken prayers.

Β©2012 Christy Birmingham

58 thoughts on “A Dad’s Journey

1. Marc Phillippe Babineau

It’s a great thing to have your father around! I surely miss mine and the wisdom his years as a pilot for the RCAF brought him.He died far too early, with a young family that looked up to him, but I guess that’s one of the best ways to go; on top! Great hub!

Marc, your dad must have been wonderful to have raised such a giving son as yourself. I see you wrote ‘hub’ and I am wondering if we are spending too much time at HubPages…! Thank-you for taking time to read and reflect on your own dad; hugs to you.

Christy this is such a heartfelt poem for your Dads Healing… I will also add my own prayers for those healing hands to hold and protect him on his onward journey we all walk in the days of our tomorrows.. Hugs Sue xx

3. Red

This is lovely, Christy. Your father would be so proud of you! I hope his healing is swift and sure. Your love for him is crystal clear.
    {HUGZ}
    Red.

Christy, my dear friend, I am sending you and your dad bushels of prayers, positive healing energies, love and light. Beautiful and heartfelt words, written by a beautiful lady. ~ Love always, my friend ~ Julie xoxox

5. mywithershins

Christy, your poem brought tears to my eyes. It’s hard to see loved ones suffer. I hope he’s ok. I lost mine in 2008 under similar circumstances. If you ever need a sympathetic ear or shoulder, you know how to reach me. πŸ™‚

6. Pingback: Hand in Hand | 20 LINES A DAY – an exercise in discipline

7. Tessa

Christy, the tears are flowing fast after reading such a beautiful, emotional, heartfelt poem. Your dad is very lucky to have a daughter such as you. You truly have a gift for words showing such depth and feeling. LOL.

8. Mohan Kumar

Beautiful Poem, Christy. Your love for your Dad shines through these tender, emotive words. so gentle and so caring. Parental illness brings everything back into focus. Best wishes!

Mohan, Thank-you for your kindness. I am pleased that my feelings do shine through with the poetry and that the words are well-received. I will see my dad today and send forward the prayers of everyone. Take care.

9. Dana

This is such a beautiful, heartfelt, and even a bit heartbreaking poem, Christy. I was overcome with the emotions of the words while reading it. You and your Dad are lucky to have each other. ((hugs))

Dana, thank-you. My dad was touched by the poem and when I saw him I sent prayers from all of you. How kind of you to take time to read and comment, I take the hug and give one in return too.

10. Eric Alagan

Hello Christy B,
    Great to have you back and with such a lovely post of your father. I wish both of you well and a speedy and full recovery for your father.

Take your time and when you are up to it, hope to see you post again.

All good wishes from Singapore, Eric πŸ™‚

11. lscotthoughts

Christy, this is such a beautiful tribute to your father and I hope, by now, he is feeling much better. Your love for him shines through your lovely words and I’m sure he’s very proud of you…you both are in my prayers, my friend and I apologize for coming by late~ hugs and blessings, Lauren xo

Lauren, no apologies are needed. I understand we are all busy and that we will see each other when we are able. My dad thanked me for the poem and I am so pleased that he understands its loving message. The kindness you show in your words means a lot to me xx. He is getting better with each day.

12. beebeesworld

Years ago, i wrote my dad a poem about how much the time he spent with me meant-I couldn’t find it this year, so I wrote a story of his life-some of it from my favorite of HIS stories I begged to hear as a child..He wrote 4 books for me and my kids (and now grands) about his life. I hope I find the poem, I am still looking. Not everyone has a dad like we have. I love your tribute to your father.

Thank-you for the kind words. My dad was so pleased when I read him the poem. I hope that you find the books. When you do, create a post around them and let me know so I can stop by. Take care.

13. Rolly Chabot

What a lovely poem and a tribute to your Dad… love the picture… it is one of love and respect… The words make all Dads smile Christy but the biggest smile comes from you Dad… Join you in prayer for healing and fast recovery…

Hugs and Blessing from Alberta….

Christy;

This poem is beautiful … And you look so nice together…

Your words are full of unconditional love… “A slow but determined move/ Like a chess game in progress” as you have said…

I particularly love the two last stanzas in which you talk about your dad as “A man who is strong beyond his fear”s / (and) “Who inspires you in his strength and kindness”.

I hope your hands and softly spoken prayers have helped to heal; as “your own Journey (of personal growth) continues today”,

Hugs and thanks for telling me about this post, my friend;

Aquileana πŸ™‚

Oh Aqui! You are wonderful for taking time to come here and read this one. I send you many hugs.

This poem means so much to me. I wrote it shortly after my Dad had a major surgery. I worried about him and wanted to show him how much I care for him and am there to support him.

It’s wonderful to come back and read the words now that he is so much healthier. You’re right that my journey has been a healing one too. I’m glad that positive paths are taking place for us all xx