Canada Day Gets Its Own Poem

So It’s Canada Day

So its Canada Day,

French, English, and the red-and-white flags,

Sundaes scooped into bowls and

Painted flags on the cheeks!

Canada Day Flag

There’s a cheering voice here and a fireworks display over there,

There’s a lot of excitement on this special day.

It’s birthday time again, we are getting quite old,

Yet these celebrations keep us young and happy –

If only because many people get extra time off of work!

Fireworks Display

Barbecues and picnics (I hope I am invited), hugs and good wishes

That are given between friends, daughters and cousins too.

Take a moment to say thanks

To our ancestors and our country,

For we are proud of Canada and I am proud to be Canadian.

©2012 Christy Birmingham

Happy donuts!

Happy donuts!

Happy Canada Day everyone!

xx christyb

56 thoughts on “Canada Day Gets Its Own Poem

1. Subhan Zein

Hi christyb

You write good poem up here, so please keep penning and keep inspiring! 🙂

I would like to thank you for following my blog. I hope my blog doesn’t disappoint you and that your visits in my blog have been and will always be a joyful ride.

Thank you again and I wish you a lovely day! 🙂

Subhan Zein

I am pleased to follow your blog Subhan, it looks like you will take me on a fun journey. I appreciate that you read my poetry and look forward to reading more of yours as well 🙂

2. Tobias

Awesome poem. Always a treat reading your works and keeps me thinking how much I love our great country. Happy Canada Day everyone!

1. Cat Forsley

I am 🙂
        Perma smile over here ……:)
        I got some stomach bug
        i don’t usually drink= had one glass of wine last night – UGGGGGGGGGG

But still smiling and creating 🙂
        Wishing You a gorgeous One xx

1. Cat Forsley

It’s hilarious right now …….lol
          i had great plans 🙂 with my sister

Oh well ……..
          many notes to self these days xx
          big huggggggggggggggggs 2 you 2 🙂 xoxoxoxo

2. Cat Forsley

Totally 🙂 !!!!!!!!
          It’s so quiet today in my neighbourhood ! It’s like a ghost town .lol
          guess everyone will be coming back from their cottages soon …..
          It’s been a restful weekend
          hope for YOU TOO XO

I worked through some of it but will resting tonight 🙂 Ssssh quiet in the neighbourhood hehe. I think a lot of people took the day off for the long weekend. Enjoy it xx

Marc, I have had Beavertails and they are tasty! Thanks for sharing about the east coast and for the comment 🙂 Nope, no rhymes needed with my poetry; I call it free-form and head outside the poetry rule-book.

Marc, I’ve actually been to the east coast twice, and have yet to try a Beavertail! Sounds awesome! Happy Canada Day! 🙂

Love your Canada Day poem, Christy! Happy Canada Day to you too, my friend! Our day started out cool and rainy, but the sun is finally peeking out, so we may have fireworks tonight afterall – I have front row seat right at my window – Woot Woot! LOL! Enjoy the day! ~ Love, Julie xoxox

LOL Julie, a Canada Day woot woot to you too! We had the same kind of day as you – it turned out sunny later in the day here too. Thanks for stopping by and hope you had a great day as well! xx

I hope you had a great Canada Day.. I went to visit Canada in the year 2000 for 3 weeks and travelled coast to coast.. Every Day is still etched on my memory.. Canada is a country to be proud of..
    Lovely poem Christy.. 🙂 ~Sue

5. Kelli Joan Bennett

Nice! One of my best friends is from Canada. I have only been to Toronto once, years ago, shooting a film with her. I’d love to visit again and see other areas of the country you are so proud of. 🙂 Happy Canada Day!

6. Red

Love the patriotic feel of this, Christy! I am looking forward to our own Independence celebration in a couple days. Especially the fireworks! (Inner pyro giggles).
    {HUGZ}
    Red.

LOL Red, you are a firecracker yourself! Yes your day is after ours, but I will not poke you too much about it hehe, just kidding. Thanks for stopping by and also for the kind mention on Google+ about my smile. Wait for it: *smiles*

7. granbee

Christy B., on the advent of our own Fourth of July USA Independence Day frolics, I wish you (belatedly) a most wonderful Canada Day of fun and frolic!

1. Easter Ellen

I am a TO girl.. not that I love the city, but very proud to be a part of this wonderful (ok, hold on the weather), country. We are so very blessed here.
        Big hugs! ❤

1. Easter Ellen

Me too! xo I am hoping some day to make it to your side of Canada, but the truth is that I’ve seen much more of the US than I have of Canada. Bucket list.