Poem: Sayings I Hear

The Saying Is

The saying is

To strike when the iron is hot

But they won’t tell me the shape, colour,

OrΒ even the gender.

What if I missed out on the sale and

The iron is now sold-out –

Or, worse yet, sitting on a shelf in a second-hand store?

Have a thought and run with it

Is another phrase I hear,

But at what speed do I run –

And is there a finish line?

I get advice

But not the full details,

Like buying a box of Corn Flakes

Without nutritional guidelines on the side of the box.

Well-known sayings, inspiring quotes,

They surround me like you never did –

Yet they lack answers and you lacked the questions,

So here I sit looking at cereal boxes for guidance.

Β© 2012 Christy Birmingham

Sign - Speed Hump Ahead

There are speed humps in life. Source: Christy Birmingham.

73 thoughts on “Poem: Sayings I Hear

1. Raymond Alexander Kukkee

Christyb, this is unusual, and a fascinating insight…. Don’t follow the pre-processed rules you find on corn flakes boxes, follow the nice old-fashioned original ones on oatmeal instead, it will stick to your ribs…..”:) “Christyb cleverly researches old sayings” “:)

1. Cat Forsley

DEFINITELY ….
        agreed xo
        there is a music layout one that just came out …..
        gonna change it up soon
        once the pink phase is over xoxoxoox
        sending you smiles right back xoxoxoxo

2. granbee

The answer is blowin’ in the wind, my friend–stop, hold your breath, truly LISTEN! (Great poetic concept of posing the difficulties of following mottoes in life!)

Lauren, yes I started to think about the real meaning of some of them and what they stand for. I went on a bit of a tangent but am pleased for the positive feedback! Have a great weekend xx

1. lscotthoughts

Every so often, I think about “things” we simply say or do because that’s the way it’s always been…I’m glad I’m not the only one! I really enjoyed this and I know you already read my “It” poem from today. I almost thought it might be a bit silly, but decided to post it anyway…I guess we were on the same wave length! Have a great weekend, too, Christy! xoxo

3. Tobias

You always have fun and insightful poems. I never really knew what a good poem was until I started following your blog.

Guidance from the cereal box is very clever.

Great work!

Tobias, how nice to read your comment! I am honoured by your thoughtful words as part of my goal here is to spread the love for poetry of all kinds. I have adapted my own style and it is nice to be recognized for it with your words.

4. sugarcoatedangel

The new site layout is cute. I have nominated you for the One lovely blog award which you can collect at my bloghttp://elephantprincessdotme.wordpress.com.The rest of the details are given on the post. Beautiful poetry from a beautiful soul:)

I’m glad you like the site layout – its has been on my list of to-do’s. It is not quite finished but I do have a large chunk accomplished. Thanks for the nomination, I am flattered! It is nice to have a new connection and friend πŸ™‚

5. ansuyo

Interesting. I’m not sure what to think lol. Sometimes I miss the boat. OR do I slide off the slippery slope? Oh those aren’t sayings, or are they? Love Mark’s comment :). Angie

Yes Marc always has a funny remark to add πŸ™‚ Thanks Angie. I like to read how the work is interpreted and not every line needs to be understood. Just read and enjoy the ride!

Valentine, yes you are the only one so far who has realized I allude to love in the poem. Looking for answers in the sayings and the cereal box… where else can I look next? Thanks for stopping by xx

6. Kelli Joan Bennett

Oh my gosh, I love this poem, Christy!! It’s amazing how much I want to have “life” or “instructions” on how to live compressed into a neat little saying which in the moment makes me feel like I get it, I understand, I’m in control. But the truth is, there’s no real truth in there, no real details! I have to dive in and live in order to find my own way.

Thanks for making my thinking expand beyond sound bites on this Saturday morning. And I’ll be sure to note what my cereal box is telling me, too. πŸ™‚

Hi Kelli, yes let’s check if the cereal box has any out-of-the-ordinary plans for us this weekend. Thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoy the poem. Let’s jump into the cereal box and also wade through the red tape.. There has to be a prize in here somewhere!

“They surround me like you never did -” … I love how your little nuggets are slipped in so unexpectedly, almost unobtrusively, where we least expect them. When blended with your unique style of humor, they really make you sit up and take notice. Well done, my friend, really enjoyed this! ~ Love and hugs from Julie xoxox

Thanks Julie, that’s a great compliment! You describe quite well how I like to surprise readers from line to line and take the emotions different places. I like the way you describe this. You have a great sense of poetry.

8. Dana

Hey, Christy– I like the new layout here! I’m always speaking in generic cliches (esp. “making hay while the sun shines”… who talks like that? Seriously!) It’s true that the words of wisdom don’t offer much in terms of concrete answers, though. So many questions, so few answers. πŸ™‚

Thanks for the nice comment on the new look Dana! You are quite right, and so much to do with so little time πŸ™‚ I was pondering the sayings and see you are doing the same LOL

9. Tessa

Well dear Christy, it’s nearly lunch time here…I go on your site…and the first thing I see is M&M’s! Totally addictive, just as your daily writings are! This poem and concept were amazing, just like YOU.

10. Indi

Great writing. Makes you really focus on what we say out of habit. Grandmother constantly noted that she needed to kill two birds with one stone or a particularly productive day was referred to as cooking with gasoline. Hhmmm. Great as always.

11. Charron's Chatter

Christy, this is an excellent poem! I love the progression of the “iron thought” and the subsequent smooth segue to “running with a thought”…all the way to it’s “cereally” good ending. As Tony the Tiger says: It’s G-R-E-A-T!

1. Easter Ellen

Me too.. feeling more at home than ever and hopefully no health distractions this year. I took a leap of faith and even started a couple of other blogs, so I am truly enjoying blogging as I never had. πŸ™‚ xox

Oh how wonderful about reaching out with the blogging more. Glad to support you! I also hope you stay in good health – if anything happens feel free to reach out. Hugs!

3. Easter Ellen

Thanks so much Christy.. You are always so genuinely caring and sweet. So much time in the hospital last year, left me feeling too frustrated to try to go back to where I’d started. This year has presented me with fresh ideas and a healthier body – so thank you again for your kindness.

I am happy to be kind to you as I appreciate your genuine spirit too. It radiates! I understand… and fresh beginnings are sometimes the best thing. xo So nice to chat tonight and wishing you well. Talk soon β™₯