Voices Above: A Poem of Remembrance

Español: Vista aerea de la población Taritari,...

Sunset and poem of remembrance. Taritari, Juan Griego, Nueva Esparta, Venezuela. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

After the recent passing of a close family friend, I find myself in my own world of thoughts and images, words and pictures, which all bear no syllables.

I find myself here, on my keyboard, my fingers aching to write about my emotions, my fingers aching to release emotion somehow.

The aching leads me to sentences that flow and that wind around one another. Here is the poem that results.

Voices Above

I hear your voice,

It meets me, you meet me,

Every time your face comes to my mind.

You reach out with a laugh

(And comforting smile)

While the word kiddo echoes clearly in my ears.

I saw you before you took that white bed, with its white sheets,

And the white faces of nurses surrounded you.

When I saw you last, you smiled at me,

Your eyes bright as sunshine

(With rays that extended miles and beyond),

Your hands warm as mittens soft from years of wear.

We talked about when you first met my family,

Before I was even born,

And you told me stories of friendship, of your past and your days now,

You spoke of times when clock hands were surrounded by chuckles.

I am thankful I saw you that day,

I am thankful that you were that way –

A giving spirit with generosity for miles.

You have enriched so many lives

With sweetness we cannot duplicate in form,

A recipe we will never match,

But whose flavor we will always remember.

We remember you, we love you, we honor you.

© 2012 Christy Birmingham

36 thoughts on “Voices Above: A Poem of Remembrance

Christy, this is such a heartfelt poem, I am sorry that you lost such a good family friend, I have no doubts what so ever that he looks down and smiles as he winks his eye at you for your tribute of Remembrance ..
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts which I know at times swamp us with emotions the only way we can release them is to let the pen flow across the page..

Best wishes for a brighter 2013 Love Sue xox

2. raymond alexander kukkee

Dear, sweet Christyb….(((Hugs))) Your poem is so beautiful and gentle–I’m sorry to hear of your loss. Your heart in this poem is gigantic, universal, and brought tears to my eyes. There can be no finer remembrance. “Christyb smiles as tears drop in remembrance”.

3. Janine Huldie

Oh Christy, I am so sorry for your loss and you did have me remembering the loss of my own grandfather, who also called me kiddo. Beautiful poem though and you captured the feelings perfectly.

4. rollyachabot

Hi Christy… what a touching and timely poem you have put together. The beauty is even though it is hard to face the loss we can see those who mean so much live through us. Seeds of love they planted can flourish as do your words.
    This has been a hard year, I lost three very near and dear friends. Yesterday it was 8 years ago I lost my dad and not a day passes I do not think of him.
    Thank you for sharing from your heart… you are a treasure Christy…

Hugs from Alberta

5. Tessa

Beautiful, your words sum up so much heart. You take the ‘best (uniqueness)’ of people and ‘treasure’ it. Thanks for this poem. LOL.

6. Terri Birmingham

Christy, you should send this to Debbie, she would love to hear your beautiful tribute. Love, mom.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Poetic Parfait

7. mywithershins

You have my sincerest condolences. I’ve learned from experience that the best way to ease the pain of loss is to remember the good times shared. Your words seem to have done just that. I’m sure your close family friend would be honoured by your poem. Take care, my friend.

I have tears in my eyes from this beautiful tribute, Christy. I am so sorry at the loss of your friend, and my heart aches for you and your family. Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way, and gentle hugs and love. xoxox

9. Pingback: A Poem of Thanks to Spirits That We Love | Poetic Parfait

10. irinadim

Such a touching poem, Christy. It brings memories of my mother’s passing in 2012.
    “Your hands warm as mittens soft from years of wear.” My mother’s hands were like that too. Hugs ❤ Irina