Writing Prompt Motivation

Coast Wallflower

Poem, Free Write Friday, Coast Wallflower (Photo credit: philipbouchard)

When I read the Free Write Friday post on Kellie Elmore‘s Website today, I just had to take on the challenge.

The task Kellie gave to anyone who wanted to participate is to write what comes to mind when we read this quote:

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite

The quote is from Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Here is my response, in poetic form:

That Moment

And it was then, in that moment,

I swear we were infinite,

Able to spread our wings,

Spreading our joys like strokes of warm butter

Over lightly toasted bread that

We savored with each bite.

It was then I knew,

Beyond infinite possibilities,

That you were my guardian and

I was the answer to your formula,

The mathematical equation you had dreamt up for

Love, years before we even met.

We savored the moment

As the tomorrows we would not have

And the yesterdays were full of valleys

Deep with tears.

That moment was full of the sweetness of smiles,

The sweetness of hoorahs

For our own existence,

As we laid together quietly, so quiet

In that moment, just you and I,

In that moment that forgot to tick –

Just for a second or two.

©2013 Christy Birmingham

50 thoughts on “Writing Prompt Motivation

1. Kellie Elmore

My GOD, Christy! You left me totally swooning!!! ♥ This is my absolute favorite line: “Spreading our joys like strokes of warm butter” OMG! Beautiful! Thank you so much for participating! xox

2. Charron's Chatter

I love the repetition of “infinite” & varied form of stanzas 1 & 2. I really like the mathematical equation concept; I’ve heard of scripts not received, but mathematical equations? It all adds up to great, X. 🙂

3. Mark

Love this Christy!

Especially the lines … We savored the moment, As the tomorrows we would not have, And the yesterdays were full of valleys, Deep with tears.

Wow that sums up life so beautifully, live today! Thanks for sharing!

“And the yesterdays were full of valleys, Deep with tears.” Wow, Christy, this line is so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes! Awesome poem, I think my new favourite of yours! Wonderful response to Kellie’s challenge, my friend. ~ Love and hugs, Julie xoxox

5. Pingback: Free Write Friday #17: Quote Prompt « catnipoflife

6. seanbidd

Love the way you wrap ones senses up within the flavoured words of emotion, to allow the reader’s heart skip long in the shallows, to short of breath in the deep presence of each moment.

How Eloquent you weave your words within the poem .. I especially love how you can weave your magic with tasty toast and butter with infinite possibilities of love so deep …
    A true Poet!
    Beautifully done

8. Tessa

Christy, the last 4 lines had me melting. Beautiful, just beautiful. I had to read it several times. ..i believe my favourite of yours. AND considering how many greats you have put your magic on, there seems to be no boundary on how you create what you do. LOL & huge hug.