Eliminate Bullying with True Colors

Mask (graphite) - Karlyn, M.E. LaZerte School

Eliminate bullying. Mask (graphite) – Karlyn, M.E. LaZerte School (Photo credit: Edmonton Public Schools)

What a great update this song is of the Cyndi Lauper classic True Colors.

What a great song to feature for this week’s Tunes with Tuesday feature.

I get goosebumps every time I hear this version. It is a dedication from many Canadian singers to support the anti-bullying movement and is headed by MuchMusic. The artists here include:

• Jacob Hoggard
  • Lights
  • Fefe Dobson
  • Walk Off the Earth
  • Kardinal Offishall (it is worth watching the video simply for his rap section)

There is a link at the end of the video to the Kids Help Phone. It is Canada’s only free, anonymous, and confidential phone and online help network for children and teens.

Even if you have never been bullied (and sadly, you are in the minority) you can appreciate the beautiful message of the song. Your true colors are what make you special. Being unique is wonderful, and you realize this detail more and more as you age. I know I do!

I value people who are themselves rather than people who take on the shape of the people around them or the shape that those people want them to be.

This is christyb, wishing you a day full of kindness and devoid of bullying xx

Artists Against Bullying – True Colors [Official Video]

45 thoughts on “Eliminate Bullying with True Colors

1. pictimilitude

I LOVE this video. It’s one of my favorites, now. I’ve always loved Cyndi Lauper and I think it’s partly because we spell our names the same way, haha. Awesome post and shared. πŸ™‚

2. Dana

Beautiful! It’s been a long time since I’ve thought about Cyndi Lauper or her music, even though she was my #1 FAVE when I was little. Thanks for the link and the poignant message, Christy. πŸ™‚

Christy this is a great message and Song.. Too many are subject to bullying, and awareness needs to be brought … This subject is close to my heart as my own son when he was younger was bullied at school….

4. Kourtney Heintz

I love this song. So many people can relate to it. Gay, straight, bi, transgendered. Everyone needs to hear that who they are is beautiful. Because it’s true and real. And no one should ever be able to take that away from you. πŸ™‚

5. Lorraine Marie Reguly

I love this song (always loved Cyndi Lauper, as I was a teen in the 80’s, and some say I am still stuck there!) and I love the message you are promoting. I was picked on in grade school for a) being overweight, b) being smart and c) having “four-eyes” (wearing glasses). Getting bullied is horrible, and has lasting effects. Most bullies do not know this, and should!
    Everyone should know that help is out there!

Hi Lorraine, I agree that it is an important subject matter to discuss! Thanks for your passion for the subject and sharing your story. So many of us get bullied and unfortunately the problem still exists… We can all help the situation by sharing our knowledge xx

6. Lorraine Marie Reguly

Reblogged this on LORRAINE REGULY'S LIFE and commented:
    I truly believe in the messages being sent here. Each and every one of us has something worthwhile to offer the world, even if we do not think we do. And, if you are being bullied, TELL SOMEONE! You may not think that anyone cares, but they do! I do!

7. Pingback: Free Write Friday: Storms, Bullies, Wine | Poetic Parfait