Dave Matthews Band: I Crash into a Poem

Dave Matthews Band

Dave Matthews Band (Photo credit: Cifo aka Big Cif)

It’s Tunes with Tuesday! Bring on the smiles as we laugh, dance around the room, and enjoy one another’s company.

Dave Matthews Band is an American rock band that I admire. Lead singer Dave Matthews writes songs that offer a pure perspective on the world around us.

He does not require electronic sounds to improve his voice. Instead, he looks to his guitar to light up the lines he says ever so softly. His voice is original, as is his spirit.

In a world full of clones, I really value people who are genuine to their own spirits.

The Dave Matthews Band released the song “Crash into Me” in 1997. It was a success for the group with a Grammy Awards nomination in 1998 for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals.

As I listened to “Crash into Me” today, I began to type a poem. Below are the poem I wrote and the music video.

~This is christyb, hoping you play the music, read the lines, and SAVOUR THE DAY.

Safe as a Harmony

When the beat takes you away,

You feel like you can walk for miles without

A toe to the ground, not even one time.

You imagine yourself back in rooms of love

And want to slow down the seconds

Into pieces you keep in your pocket,

Safe as a harmony, to

Emerge for rainy days.

Memories crash into my world

When I hear the beat sway, and

I wonder where your heart beats today.

Do you hear the same song?

©2013 Christy Birmingham

Dave Matthews Band – “Crash into Me”

38 thoughts on “Dave Matthews Band: I Crash into a Poem

1. Dana

Crash Into Me is one of my all time favourite songs, Christy! As soon as I saw the title of your post, I had to put the song on my iTunes and listen away. 🙂

2. Cynthia

For a big birthday, a friend got me front row tickets to one of his concerts. Will never forget the experience and especially his voice. Love the last line of your poem. 😉

Hi Christy;

I like the metaphor of rhythm. Because somehow, the life is rhythm …

The existence is a constant flow, like a river of Heraclitus is never twice the same … Nor are we always the same, change with time.

That’s why the biggest secret is the mystery that keeps our soul .

The words we speak and those who are silent are only a dim reflection of this mystery.

Christy, every day you give me a smile with your poems short yet full of content about the life and experiences of the soul.

I send you a big kiss you and many thanks for your comment on my blog!!;

Aquileana 😉

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—…இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ— இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—…இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ— இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—…இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—

4. Jolie B

Great man and x-cellent poem; wouldn’t it be great if somehow we were able to bundle together the musically inspired creativity!, wonderful work Christy

5. The Other Watson

Love Dave Matthews Band – definitely one of my favourites, and one of those rare bands who, in my opinion, have never released a bad album (though their latest took me a little longer to get into, but I do like it). I STILL need to see them live though.
    Love the poem, too! 🙂

6. pictimilitude

I was a freshman in college when that song came out – I still love it. In fact, I still have the CD and I love just about every song on there. Your poem is so sweet, too. I love your writing. Have a wonderful day, Christy. 🙂

7. 1EarthUnited

Such sweet nostalgia, reminiscing about those simple, innocent days of youth. The song compliments your poem beautifully. Thanks for sharing this comforting space of love Christy, well done! ♥

8. Pingback: Music Video Treatments | Music Video Treatments: Living Room Annoyance | KittysneezesKittysneezes

Awesome song, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your poem! A hint of sadness there at the end, but the lines, “And want to slow down the seconds / Into pieces you keep in your pocket” really resonate with me – great phrasing and a wonderful poem that complements the music beautifully. Well done, girlfriend! Love and hugs, Julie xoxox

10. Tessa

What a beautiful combination…great music and accompanied by a great poem! It’s as good as getting out that sundae container, finding the best French Vanilla ice cream, adding fresh strawberries and finishing it off with chocolate sauce. YUM, soothing and quenching. LOL.