Red tulips

Tulips and Daffodils

Spring.

Lovely spring is here. I love the season as it brings days of blue sky and blooming flowers.

There have been spring seasons that I missed, holed up in a room lamenting about the past.

I do not take nature for granted today, and I urge you to walk a similar path.

This is christyb saying, Stop to savor the forms of nature around you.

Tulips and Daffodils

I walk and I see

More than red tulips, yellow

Daffodils and empty pieces of

Space; I fill in the corners with details.

I see seeds that fingers sprinkled

Beneath the top layer of soil,

I see the smile that joined in when the

Seeds became a planted life.

I see many people lack solid roots.

Ahead are whispers of clouds,

Pleading me to slow down and exhale

Fully

Before I laugh along with the wonder

That surrounds me.

There are layers to the earth beyond the visual line of sight.

I nod at the face of a woman on a bench,

A form as beautiful as the tulip I walked by

Two steps ago, and

I marvel at the steps I will take with time,

Time made of minutes of happy and days that

Extend like the clouds.

©2013 Christy Birmingham

55 thoughts on “Tulips and Daffodils

1. Janine Huldie

Happy Spring indeed and finally starting to get some much nicer, warmer weather. And yes all our flowers and trees here are also blooming. Love it and definitely such a great time of the year. Happy weekend, too!! 🙂

Christy;

Your post reminds me of those odes of Whitman, about the style of “Leaves of Grass” …
    A true celebration of life. I see the colors and the progression of forms, ranging from the power of the seed to flower corolla.
    I liken this song to the miracle of nature and our surroundings;

Cheers and thanks my friend, Aquileana

PS: You can check out my new post. I hope you like it and hope you leave me a comment!…

OhI I am humbled by the comparison to Whitman! I do hope to inspire and cause reflection in readers with my words. I am glad they come across clearly to wonderful readers such as yourself!

3. gailthornton

Christyb, the image of the woman on the bench and the tulip is the embodiment of Spring itself to me. Such beautiful writing.

Ooooh, I love this one, Christy! Like the earth and the spaces you fill in with details, there are layers to this wonderful poem as well … beautifully written, my friend! It’s a beautiful day here as well, and I’ve learned not to take nature (or anything else) for granted. Enjoy your day; sending love and hugs your way! ~ Love, Julie xoxox 🙂

5. lscotthoughts

Beautiful spring poem with many layers, Christy, and I loved this verse…

Ahead are whispers of clouds,
    Pleading me to slow down and exhale
    Fully
    Before I laugh along with the wonder
    That surrounds me.

Especially in this fast paced time, it’s so important to slow down and enjoy the beauty around us, not taking any of it for granted! Sending many hugs! 🙂

6. Eric Alagan

Tulips and daffodils – time to pause and enjoy all that which God had made for you and me. I simply love your bright and light posts, Christy B.

All good wishes for a brilliant week ahead,
    Eric

7. Marylin Warner

Thank you christyb, for reminding us to stop and savor the forms of nature around us!
    There have been springs when I, too, missed what was happening, but never again. Every day is too precious.

8. Pingback: Photo of the Day – Flowering Daffodil and Forsythia | Jack T. Scully

9. Easter Ellen

As always – a great post. Your depth in seeing beyond the visible in this poem is wonderful. I especially loved this line:
    “There are layers to the earth beyond the visual line of sight”

10. Pingback: Dictator Does Daffodils | The Other Weekly News

11. jeff fedor

I think to my self what a wonderful world.Everything has a purpose and everything is connected in some way.Seeing the connection enlightens our minds and bodies and souls.

12. Pingback: Photo of the Day – Flowering Daffodil and ForsythiaJack T Scully | Jack T Scully