As Oklahoma Tries to Breathe

I took this photo on my walk in Victoria, BC, Canada

A walk by the water. Nature brings hope.

Prayers. Prayers must account for something in a world where many events do not make sense.

It is so easy to lose hope and think, “Why even try when senseless things happen anyway?” I am sure many people have thought this way following the Oklahoma tragedy. The death toll today for the tornado disaster stands at 24 people minimum. Nine of those people were children. Their short lives never got the opportunity to see school graduations, first jobs, or the births of children of their own.

It is so easy to lose hope and yet, we cannot. There are so many reasons to enjoy life and the days that we wake up to each morning. I am thankful for being able to wake today. I thank my eyes for opening and for being able to look out the window at the hazy sky. I sip of coffee in a day that begins under a roof that I own. I am thankful.

To the people of Oklahoma I send you compassion, tears and hope. I send you a note that reads Time and resources are coming to help you.

I send kindness to all of my readers. The video below features singer Alex G (with Tyler Ward) and the song title is I Won’t Give Up. It is a cover of the original tune by Jason Mraz. I Won’t Give Up is the Tunes with Tuesday feature today. I dedicate the song to the victims and survivors of the Oklahoma tragedy.

This is christyb, telling you that I will not give up on life. Despite the senseless things, I will not give up. I wish the same thoughts for you.

I Won’t Give Up – Alex G Acoustic ft. Tyler Ward (Original by Jason Mraz)

50 thoughts on “As Oklahoma Tries to Breathe

1. Judith C Evans

Ah, this post is so hopeful — in the deepest sense of the word “hope”. My heart fills with gratitude at the blessings in my own life — especially god friends. I join you in prayer and in hope.

2. Mandy

A very beautiful and comforting post, Christy. Your heart is in the right place, and because of it you will spread strength, hope, love and compassion to where it has to reach. A good reminder that we have so much to be thankful for, and so much to hope in despite the storm clouds. Simply beautiful!

3. penpusherpen

as Audrey says, you have captured what we all are thinking, Christy. so well, … ’tis a sad day.. and our thoughts and prayers are with all those who were caught up in this terrible tragedy.. . xPenx

As you say I have captured the thoughts of many people, I am glad to have this platform to be able to communicate the feelings… it is times like these that I am thankful for being able to publish here. Than-you, xx

Reblogged this on Julie Catherine and commented:
    Beautiful thoughts from Christy Birmingham of Poetic Parfait in the wake of the Oklahoma tragedy – I add my tears, thoughts and prayers to hers – thank you so much for this, dear friend…. xoxox

Christy, this is beautiful, my friend. I hope you don’t mind that I reblogged, tweeted and shared on Facebook … adding my tears, thoughts and prayers to yours, dear friend. xoxox

Howdy Christy/Doll;

The song is very nice. I am so sorry this natural misfortune has happened.

My condolences to the victims thanks for leaving this message of support and strenght; my friend;

Up Soon, Aquileana 😉

7. jeff fedor

My strength is yours in mind body and soul all who need help.Oklahoma join together and the world hope is always there.We as a people will overcome and will endure.The love of the ones who are in heaven now will always shine down on all of us always.God bless.

8. mywithershins

For some reason, the song didn’t load properly for me, but your words were inspiring. I hope the family and friends of the victims in Oklahoma will be able to carry on without their loved ones and possessions lost in the devastation of that horrible tornado.

9. pictimilitude

I loved that video! Your post is so sweet, Christy. It’s hard to understand why these disasters happen; but we humans can demonstrate such love in the aftermath – so many people have answered the call to help and that makes my heart feel a little better about all this. 🙂

10. lscotthoughts

Christy, this is just such a beautiful tribute and song that brought tears for me, as well. My heart and prayers reach out to those affected deeply by this tragic event…many hugs to you for writing this lovely post..xo

11. Kourtney Heintz

Well said Christy. We cannot give up. Even in the face of senseless deaths. We need to cherish the moments we have and make the most of each one of them. My heart goes out to everyone in Oklahoma and all the loved ones affected by this devastation.

12. Seyi sandra

Great thoughts, deep and consoling! My prayers to the victims and survivors of Oklahoma! God be with everyone! Much love to you Christy, you’re such a gentle soul. 🙂