Rise above the haters

When Haters Come Out To Play

Rise above the haters

Oh those haters! Photo: sean_oliver, CC BY 2.0, via Flickr.

Ah yes, the haters.

Sometimes I try to convince myself that everyone is trustworthy and wants the best for one another. This morning I was bitterly disappointed. What happened?

A nameless man (nope, he doesn’t deserve to have his name printed here) told my friend on Facebook that my poem was essentially garbage. She showed me his comment and it did not say ‘garbage’ but that was the theme of the comment.

Was I hurt? Yes. Am I still? Yes. It is ironic that the poem he criticized, Your Heart Opens, is about love. Thank-you to my friends who helped me with kind messages when I tearfully reacted to the event (Lauren, Susan and many others, who flew to my side).

Motivation against the haters

Motivate 2 (Photo credit: tedeytan)

In response to the haters (this is not the first one, unfortunately), I will say that I plan to keep writing poetry and sharing words of love. I refuse to believe that negativity can trump positive spirit. I keep faith and the hope that my goals will come to fruition.

I say thank-you to everyone who continues to support “Pathways to Illumination.” It is doing very well.

This week, the book received two more favorable reviews. In the first review, maab30 writes,

“There are few poetry books that actually live up to their titles, often falling short of hitting their mark for one reason or another. But the debut collection of works by Christy Birmingham, ‘Pathways To Illumination’ certainly is not one of them. The book takes the reader for quite a ride…”

The second review, posted by Amalia on Redmund Productions, compares the woman’s journey in the book to the Hero’s Journey narrative described by Joseph Campbell. What a compliment! The reader gives the book 5 stars and points out the book provides,

“…a cathartic experience of growth and struggle.”

While trying to balance the good and the bad that life hands us, I end this post on a positive note. I wish you all a nice day, a moment to smile and the strength to rise above the haters.

38 thoughts on “When Haters Come Out To Play

1. filbio

There will always be haters out there. You just need to have a thick skin and pay them no mind. The internet is a breeding ground for haters and seems to empower them, along with the many good and positive people on the net. Also, remember, anyone who writes or entertains will have their critics along with supporters. It’s part of the deal. You just have to dismiss the idiots like this who probably have no real talent themselves. Focus on those that offer constructive criticism, and those that appreciate what you do.

Am I a great writer? Far from it but I enjoy blogging on a variety of subjects. I have those who like what I blog about and some who don’t care for my style. It’s part of the game and I shrug off the detractors, but will listen to those who offer good advice on how to improve. Again good luck with the new book!

2. maab30

Forget the critics, screw em. Create new works and move on. Most critics are a bunch of no talent hacks anyway. I learned this twenty years ago. We all have people who try to tear us down. Your best revenge is do what you do and live your life, well.

3. Janine Huldie

Christy, just seeing this now and seriously this person is completely wrong. You and your poetry are a breath of fresh air. And you have more talent in your little pinky then I am sure he does in his whole body. Love the way you dealt with this hater and just know you are so much better then this. I love you and don’t let this person get to you. Totally not worth and he is 100% wrong!!

4. Sean Michael Kelly (@TheLdrshipGeek)

Christy, those who give, give, give of their heart as you do are bound to be wounded by those who rob and plunder the joy of others. Your work is beautiful as it reflects so honestly the spirit of love and giving that YOU are. You have the ability to put all that soul into expressive, visual, graphic words that dance from the page into our hearts. We feel, even if a small slice for a brief moment, regardless what we ourselves are facing, the pains and joys that you mean to convey. You are an artist and every artist has its critics. I am one who stands among so very many others that believe strongly in both your work and the beautiful young lady behind those words. You are a gardener of words and the bouquets are amazing.

Keep up the fantastic work, hold your head high. You are accepted, admired, and apparently somebody must envy you!

5. raymond alexander kukkee

Christyb, take it from me. There are always miserable haters, morons who criticize literary works because they are totally incapable of creativity or understanding creativity themselves. Some are incapable of reading beyond a grade III level. Best advice? Pay them no mind, since they are hardly worth the effort.
    Your work is wonderful, and your beautifully unique poetic voice will, indeed, not always be understood or appreciated by morons. So be it…………keep smiling.. “:)

6. Aleshia Clarke

You have nothing to prove to anybody Christy. Your work stands strong and proud – there is no need to defend it.

Some people wouldn’t know talent if it bit them in the behind! In my experience, people who put down others are trying to draw attention to themselves.

As a fellow poet, I only wish my own creations will one day be just as amazing! Keep up the great work!

7. rcprice

I tell you this from the bottom of my heart, if you don’t have haters that means you’re not doing anything worthwhile. Wipe those tears and tell him to suck eggs. 🙂

8. Valerie Caraotta

Christy,
    If you will take note moreso now, that often before breakthroughs or right after(your 2 new reviews that came in) that the enemy of discouragement will seek in to distract and rob you of what is and is to come. There is often a definite pattern to this so the next time a wacko like the one you described comes on the scene, laugh it off but look expectantly for the next victory. It is a good thing Abe Lincoln did not cave in after all the naysayers.
    I know it can paralyze at times but the expectations of man and his royal negativity at times just has to be wrote off like a few bad grapes in the bundle.
    keep up the good work as I am sure you know you do.

9. Lisa Orchard

Christy, Your poetry is awesome. The only time to listen to criticism is when it is actually constructive. This person didn’t offer anything constructive, therefore, he is to be discounted! If someone is unwilling to tell you what they don’t like, they are highly suspect. All this person did was show his own issues in his comments. And you are not responsible for someone else’s issues! Keep on writing! 🙂

10. Kitt Crescendo

Haters are a part of life…but I’ve learned through the years that the best revenge is to hold your head high and live life on your own terms. Not everyone has an appreciation for poetry (or the ear to recognize good ones). You’re a wonderful person who is continuously growing and strengthening herself. Don’t let haters be the cause for a setback.

11. Rolly Chabot

Just another speed bump in life Christy… never change your heart, always love as we know you can and will…. only little people reach out to hurt… know that you are dearly loved…

Rolly

12. Veronica Shine

I understand your hurt and admire you to keep that positive outlook going. You are an inspiration for so many others. Develop that thick skin and keep writing Christy. Unfortunately there will always someone out there just waiting to belittle you. Don’t ever let anyone pull you down and your rays of sunshine will remove any dark clouds floating around.

13. Tricia Drammeh

The internet can sometimes be a nasty place where bitter, frustrated, hateful people feel comfortable spewing venomous comments while hiding behind their computers. Every time I think about all the haters on the internet, I remind myself of all the awesome people I’ve met online. If it wasn’t for the internet, I never would have met you, Christy. I feel like my life is better for having stumbled across your blog. Your poetry is beautiful, inspiring, and uplifting. Even when you explore the darker side of life, there’s always hope behind your writing. I feel sorry for anyone who can’t see the love behind every word you write. Keep sharing!

14. David Wells

Christy , your poems are wonderful and as you are proud of your accomplishments so am I. Haters hate because they have no love and are jealous of your success and your ability to love in spite of attacks . Keep up the great works , you are making a difference . David

15. Aurora Morealist

There are so many haters out there waiting to pounce on anything at all, whatever they can justify to themselves. Why even bother having a page at all. I did try the link on Facebook and it says it is gone. Not sure if he took it down or Facebook did. Either way, good riddance to bad news. Who needs that with all the love lifting you from pure hearts intent. Sign me a Tender Heart “who likes to write the wrongs in the world that often feels more like it is tilting than orbiting” (quote from my public pages). Hate is such a terrible word. Worse than F if you ask me. Sucks to be him. Karma. My boomerangs may be loud but they are always KIND, no cruelty tolerated here. Loving your loving presence and words, Christy, always have, always will. He is but a particle of dust now on your path of goodness and light ❤ ❤ ❤

16. Colline

Sometimes I wonder if the hater’s viewpoint is blinded by jealousy. Some people seem to find satisfaction is causing pain in others. I am glad that you have focused on the positive and all the support you have received from others.

17. lscotthoughts

Christy, thanks so much for including me in this post. As a friend, I will always “be there” for you. This line you wrote says it all:

“I refuse to believe that negativity can trump positive spirit.” Let us all hold this belief so we won’t let meaningless words keep us down.

Just keep going as you are, know you are loved and there will always be some unhappy grape in the bunch. 🙂 That’s life. I also try to live by these words…

Sending much love and many, many hugs, my friend! xoxo

18. oawritingspoemspaintings

Well, as Dr. Wayne Dyer says “when I speak in front of 3.000 people that’s 3.000 different opinions & I can’t please them all”.
    I think that about sums it up! As long as you do what you love with passion you’ll always have success with it, the jealous ones are just that, they’ll vent their frustration on anything moving 🙂
    You come out the winner because you are happy, have people who appreciate you for your real worth and you,them.
    Count your blessings, you are well surrounded where as the others have to live with their bitterness 24/7!
    Thanks for sharing, it makes it less lonely out there 🙂

19. Charlene Woodley

Of all people, this person (and I say that lightly) decided to pick on YOU – someone who is ALWAYS spreading love, hope and encouragement? What a miserable shell of a soul! It just goes to show that jealousy, cruelty, and yes – stupidity still reigns in the cold hearts and severely limited minds of some, but in looking at this in another way, it also shows that you have and will continue to prosper and be successful in what you’re doing because you have created something so valuable that someone else is somewhere kicking themselves in the ‘mouth’ because they apparently lacked the ability to be at the least an iota of a fraction as creative as we all know that you are. Don’t sweat it if it ain’t worth it – keep being you because you are an uplifting spirit for many. In this case, the bad apple cannot spoil the bunch. Love ya Christy B!!

20. The Eye-Dancers

This man’s “opinion” says a lot about him–and not in a good way. “Your Heart Opens” is a wonderful poem. Your poetry is beautiful, and people who appreciate great writing all can see that. The Internet, unfortunately, does have some of these haters out there. Most, I think, are just jealous of the success of others. You are a wonderful writer and we are all so much better off because you share your work with us.–Mike

21. Valentine Logar

I will be less than profound for a minute….haters gonna hate. For the most part they will do so out of envy, jealousy or fear. In many cases they will do so because they see themselves and see themselves falling short.

Guess what, they are not worth a single bit of the salt within a single drop of one of your tears.

Someone who evalutes your offerings and finds something lacking, has the grace to offer kind critisism should be thanked for their thoughts. We cannot ever please everyone and this is okay. I don’t love all poetry, nor do I love all art (don’t like cubism for example). For those who offered such idiotic critisism as this azzhat did, well tell them STFU, they aren’t your audience any damned way.

Christy, my dear friend, I’m sorry that I wasn’t around when this happened, and so sorry that you had to deal with this obviously miserable person … but you handled it beautifully and should be proud of that. As long as you stay true to yourself in your writing and your life, you can stand tall with your head up – that is more important than unfounded criticism from a ‘hater’. I’m so proud of you, of what you have accomplished and how you have dealt with and overcome such devastating obstacles in your life – my hat’s off to you, sweetie! Sending love and gentle hugs to you! xoxox

Unfortunately Christy there are many who are out there who just love to Hate! or criticize and can not bare it when another is getting attention, for they themselves are immature and seek attention to themselves by bully tactics or by being judgemental and critical as their own Ego’s need inflating at someone elses expense, These people are not worth the thought, I have had many who leave comments upon my posts who are anonymous, one the other day left me a comment and used my own Url … I just trash them and try to pay no heed…
    YOU know within yourself the truth of your words, and the courage of your own pathway. Do not let these cowards pull you down Christy,
    We are all extremely Proud of your achievements and we love your poetry, try not to take these ‘haters’ to heart and look to them rather with pity for they have much to learn upon their own journey in life…
    LOVE and HUGS
    Sue xoxox

24. Lawrence Grodecki

Hello my dear Christy,

I’m sure all of the above have said plenty on this issue, and I’d just like to add my congrats and well wishes.

I’d also highly recommend that you take a look at Martin Lawrence’s concert film, called “Runteldat”. The whole thing is full of energy, but especially the first 5 or 10 minutes. When you say how he deals with the issue of negative critics (in those first few minutes) I can almost guarantee you that the issue won’t bother you again, and in fact you may wind up laughing instead!

25. Jennifer Kirk

Well, Christy this really upsets me, yes I know none of us can please everybody but there are ways and means to go about this. I say please continue to stay true to yourself and keep on writing as it is your gift, you already know I am a fan and that your work touches me, so from my selfish point of view I look forward to reading your next work, OK!

26. Nadine Herring

Christy you have to understand that whenever you share part of yourself with the public, there are going to be people who will have something negative to say. Now this could be for a number of reasons: they are jealous, they have no life, they feel bad about themselves and want to project that onto you…

Look there will always be people who won’t like everything you do, that’s just life, but there is no need to say anything negative. However if you absolutely feel the need to put your opinion out there, at least do it in a way that’s constructive and not try to tear the person down.

The fact that you had the courage and the strength to share such a very personal and painful journey with us makes you a better person than that hater will ever be, so brush that dirt off your shoulder and keep it moving!

27. Rachael 'Honest' Blair

Christy, that is a beautiful poem. Just ignore this person. Remember, some people think that in order for them to have a place in the world they need to reduce the space others take up. Don’t let him make you small, you take up as much space as you need to keep giving with your words and hope that one day this man will realise that your light does not cancel his out, but can illuminate it further. I know, your words often inspire me to do more, be better and shine brighter. With love…