Welcome Poetry Home with Writer Jeri Walker-Bickett

Jeri WB writes about home with poetry

Jeri WB ties home with poetry well.
(Photo: Jixar, CC BY 2.0, via Flickr)

How wonderful to have a poetry guest to the Parfait table today! The dishes are heaping and my appetite is large – it’s time for a wonderful serving of words.

I am extending a warm welcome to Jeri Walker-Bickett, skilled writer and editor. She also enjoys writing poetry, as she recently told me. Hello smiles! Yes, I have long been a fan of her blog JeriWB, where she offers writing tips, interviews authors and provides great advice for anyone interested in the literary field. So, to find out we have poetic similarities is very cool.

Here is Jeri’s Home or Roam? poem, written in villanelle form. Enjoy, home seeker, enjoy.

Home or Roam?

Why is it I never feel at home?
Forever chasing unrest with ardent ease
Where is it that I want to roam?

Reading various tomes
I find adventure and peace
Why is it I never feel at home?

A pretender who screams, “La vie boheme!”
However daily life brings me to my knees
Where is it that I want to roam?

What is there to gain by flying off to Rome?
There is no use trying to appease
Why is it I never feel at home?

The pursuit of the world’s domes
Eats at my brain like a disease
Where is it that I want to roam?

To dig into the mountain loam
To experience the world in all its degrees
Why is it I never feel at home?
Where is it that I want to roam?
© Jeri Walker-Bickett

Welcome to Jeri WB

Writer Jeri Walker-Bickett

Jeri Walker-Bickett (@JeriWB) writes short stories, creative nonfiction, and psychological suspense. The rough Idaho mining town she grew up in populates her literary landscape. She also works as a freelance editor. You can connect with her at JeriWB and Amazon Author Central.

34 thoughts on “Welcome Poetry Home with Writer Jeri Walker-Bickett

1. Janine Huldie

Loved reading her poetry and words here today and definitely an amazing guest post. Definitely made me wonder where I do feel at home. Most days it is with my husband and kids, but every once in awhile, I would love to roam a bit, too 🙂

Home, such a meaningful word. Yes I agree with Janine´s comments above..
    What is home?. I think it is the place where we feel better, happier and really free…

Jeri is certainly good with words, and this is something that is shown here in her brief poem, just tossing aside here career and job as a freelance writer.
    Being the first time I read something of her autorship I want to congratulate her… !

Great guest post Christy, Aquileana 🙂

1. Jeri Walker-Bickett (@JeriWB)

Aquileana, I agree with how you define home. I felt the the best, happiest, and most free when I worked summers in Yellowstone National Park for three seasons straight. Those years were so great in so many ways. In a way, I think I’m always searching for the perfection of those months.

3. The Regular Guy NYC

Great guest post. This made me want to get up and explore. I think we all make excuses to not roam a bit more. I just wish I had more time to do it! Home is where the heart is as the saying goes.

4. D.G.Kaye

A question many of us ask ourselves, beautifully asked here. Sometimes I feel more at home when I roam than I do in my own home. How is that possible I keep asking myself. 🙂

5. Arlee Bird

I relate to this. I love traveling, but I’m a real homebody too. I can feel at home for a while then my wandering mind wants to take me away on another adventure. I guess some of us are like this.

Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

6. A.K.Andrew @artyyah

I love villanelles. And this is a good one Jeri. You really captured the feeling of unease and being torn between travel enjoying where we are(at home). The pull of each can be strong and disquieting. Lovely to read your poetry. I didn’t know you published it. Thanks so much. Also great to discover Christy Birmingham’s site.

7. Lorraine Marie Reguly

Jeri, your unease is very common. Many creative types feel this way. I know you speak from the heart in your poetry, as do I. Like 95.5% of the time, anyway!

Nicely done.

BTW, I re-blogged this on Poetry Perfected!

8. Pingback: All for Show: Syllabic Poetry by JeriWB #CreativeWriting - JeriWB