‘Alice in Wonderland’ updated: See how the book inspired others

Alice in Wonderland gets illustrated

Alice is having a tea party. Photo Source: John Tenniel [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

“Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland,” a title often shortened to “Alice in Wonderland,” written by Lewis Carroll, has inspired many writers and other artists over the years. I fondly remember the book as it was one of my favorites as a girl. I thought I would peek “through the looking glass” to see what Alice has inspired lately.

Comic book fun with ‘Alice in Wonderland’

While the book published in 1865, it has continued to amuse readers, even in an updated comic book form. Several comic book adaptations have been made, between 1951 and 2005; there have been four versions of “Alice in Wonderland” in comic book form, in total.

The latest comic book is by Dynamite Entertainment, who released “The Complete Alice in Wonderland” in 2005. This version is written by Leah Moore and John Reppion, who were inspired by the original Lewis Carroll book. It has more than 40 pages filled with the fun adventures of dear Alice.

Alice goes to the movies

Everyone wants their two minutes on the big screen! Lewis Carroll’s book has been adapted to a movie version. And, this has happened more than one time. “Alice in Wonderland” has been the title of many versions of the film. For example, director W. W. Young was inspired to make a silent film in 1915 with that same title. This was five years after Edwin Stanton Porter’s silent movie titled “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.”

The W. W. Young adaptation is shown below as it is available for watching on YouTube. The two characters in the short movie (the clip is less than a minute) are Alice and the White Rabbit. Actress Viola Savoy played the role of Alice.

Film version: “Alice in Wonderland,” directed by by W.W. Young:

‘Alice in Wonderland’ at the theatre

Plays based on the book have also become popular since the original publication of Lewis Carroll’s book. The sequel to the novel, titled “Through the Looking-Glass,” has also inspired many actors in theatres around the globe. There are plays for adults and for children that continue to be performed.

An example of an adult version can be seen at the famous Ta Fantastika Theatre in Prague. The play, inspired by the original Wonderland book, is called “Aspects of Alice.” The play does not completely follow the book. In fact, it examines what life would be like for Alice as an adult. It is a black light theatre that is both artistic and modern.

The treasured book “Alice in Wonderland” continues to inspire people around the world and bring smiles to faces. From the book originally published in 1865, it has come a long way. May Alice live on, as she continues to reinvent and enthrall for generations to come.

The main character even inspired me last year, when I wrote the poem “When Alice Grows Up.” So you see, she really can keep coming back to life, when we help her along and keep smiling too.

42 thoughts on “‘Alice in Wonderland’ updated: See how the book inspired others

1. Billybuc

I’m convinced that Carroll was on drugs when he wrote that. LOL It also inspired “White Rabbitt” by the Jefferson Airplane. 🙂 Interesting stuff, Christy. Have a great week.

What a beautiful tribute to Carroll’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’ Christy Bee… As we have once pointed out it is a classical which among other things means a book value is independent of random circumstances such as those defined by restricted temporal lapses.
    Besides one can get over and over again the same book and the literary effect would never be the same twice.
    A classic is incorruptible and imperishable. The essence remains unalterable. However, the renderings and shapes may change…
    You have shown us a comic version of Carroll’s book. And also an old movie version.
    Worth noting that Carroll’s book has also been released as a Disney Movie, which is a lovely cartoon, by the way.
    As to fiction movie version I would like to bring Tim Burton’s version into the spotlight as it is a sort of new gothic movie with surrealist blends. Not only the film is a good one but it is an interesting attempt to recreate a classic piece in a totally different way. The approach in this case goes beyond the boundaries of realistic movies and therefore it is not only a recreation but an example of meta-revision on typical readings and formal types of literature analysis.

Excellent post my dear Chris, many hugs , Aquileana 🙂

Aqui,
      I am so glad you came to comment on the post! I know you adore the book too, so it means a lot to me that you came to read xo

Absolutely, there are the films you point out and there are other comic books too. I didn’t want to use too many examples, as not everyone likes a long read, but my post contains a few of the words inspired by the original “Alice in Wonderland.”

I appreciate your support and love ♥ Also, I changed the blog theme here again (the appearance) so I hope the text looks bigger and better now. Your advice was good for me to hear!

Much love from Chris

3. Janine Huldie

I totally remember reading the book as a kid and my mom actually gave me her 1st edition copy that was bought by her Aunt as a kid for her. I still have it my book case after so many years. Really brought back some great memories for me. Thanks Christy!! 🙂

4. raymond alexander kukkee

Christyb, this is a wonderful article on Alice in Wonderland, a favourite of children for generations now. Well done! There’s a LOT more to Alice in Wonderland than just the Mad Hatter…..I consider Alice in Wonderland a form of ‘mining the mind’ “:))

5. Valentine Logar

This was my favorite story when I was young, though I must agree Carroll had to have been high when he wrote it. I believe the Wonderland book is what gave me my love of other stories later, such as the Narnia stories and later others.

6. KK Ghost Writer

You had me at Wonderland….
    I absolutely LOVE Alice in Wonderland.
    I was lucky enough to see the 3d version of The Tim Burton version at the cinema and in an instant, my 30s disappeared and I became a child again.
    Love John Tenniel’s illustrations. In fact I love them so much that I bought myself a laptop case with a customised John Tenniel (Alice with the caterpillar) illustration.

Btw…love the new theme. Sorbet is perfect for Parfait 😉

Hi Kim! Oh yes, the Tim Burton one is truly unique, as we always expect from him! Very cool about the Alice laptop case too – feel free to send it my way any time 🙂 Aha, you’re the first one to notice the design is “Sorbet’!!

I remember the love of Alice in Wonderlands book so well… It transported you down the rabbit hole 🙂 and it came to life when I first saw the film… 🙂 But its always better in the imagination of the child I was when I first read its pages..

8. Pingback: MX3 vs. DP: Take the red pill to Alice in Boogie Wonderland | jak & Cimmy's Journal Jar

9. jaklumen

One aspect I don’t think you touched on is the idea that both “Alice in Wonderland” and “Through the Looking Glass” have been considered Carroll’s commentary on the mathematical ideas of his day. I find this interesting as Norton Juster’s “The Phantom Tollbooth” is probably the only other well known fiction book about mathematics at all, not to mention at a more elementary level.