The Hands: A Poem

Hands in a poem

Poetry about hands? You got it. Photo source: Robynlou Kavanagh, CC BY 4.0, via Flickr

A poem about hands? Okay then, here we go!

The Hands

The hands tuck into my back pocket
Like a note from a childhood friend that has
Become worn and weathered.

Today, the hands hunger for more.
They scratch at my back and
Dig deep into the contents of my skull.

My energy drains from a well that
Has seen higher levels in days past.

The hands surround me always,
Sometimes a friend, sometimes an
Oversized weight that I never asked to lift.

These are the hands of time,
These are the hands that always demand more.

Β©2014 Christy Birmingham

This is christyb, taking time to consider the way time moves.

Want to read more about hands? Here is another poem I wrote, titled Fingers Curve.

84 thoughts on “The Hands: A Poem

1. Billybuc

A creative person can write a poem about anything. You just proved it.

My blog is yours when you are ready to do that guest post.

Enjoy the beautiful weather. Hugs coming your way.

bill

Such a lovely and strong poem…
    The third stanza stands out… I also loved the lines where you mention the hands that surround you and compare it with a friend’s presence.
    Thanks for sharing and happy week ahead,
    Love, Aquileana πŸ˜€

3. rollyachabotbooks

Christy, I certainly appreciate the diversity of your writing and the content always speaks into the mind of the reader… excellent post of something we have had for so many years and what they can do for us… smiles… hands who can write as you do… you have amazing hands…

Hugs from across the mountains

4. irinadim

I see the hands in this poem as a metaphor for creativity, the urge to create. Love these lines:
    The hands surround me always,
    Sometimes a friend, sometimes an
    Oversized weight that I never asked to lift.

Great poem, Christy. πŸ™‚

5. syl65

This really hits home Christy. The hands can be so demanding, asking you to reach deep even when you feel like there’s nothing there. Great work!

1. syl65

Usually on the weekends I slow the writing down, but my mind is always working and the hands always searching for my buddy, the ink pen. πŸ™‚

We are pretty hard on our hands, aren’t we?! Well now you have read a hands poem – but your hands didn’t appreciate that you had to type out a comment about it hehehe (or, maybe they liked the attention here!)

6. Stuff Jeff Reads

Very nice. I like the way you related hands to time. Made me also think of palmistry, where lines on hands can tell of things past, present, and future. The condition of one’s hands can say a lot about their life. Cheers!

7. sarahpotterwrites

Brilliant words that really convey the effort of it all, especially the holding back of time which really does seem to weigh more and more heavily on one as life progresses. Do you remember those old fashioned weighing machines with weights that you had to physically pick up and place on the scales to achieve balance? For some reason, your poem puts me in mind of those weights.

8. Dee

Hey Christy! I enjoyed reading your blog on this topic. You covered an age old problem very creatively: Time passes and it stops for no one.

I would imagine Christy your hands are always busy, never still, They are creative hands… And loved how they fashioned this poem from your head to fingers πŸ™‚ very expressive.. πŸ™‚