Give, Today: A Poem about Helping Others

Give with your heart

Helping others. Share the love. Photo Source: Louise Docker from sydney, Australia, CC-BY-2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Hello, my friends! I hope you have had a nice weekend and that your week ahead is a good one. I was reading posts this morning here at WordPress and came across a great prompt at Jeremy’s Daily Challenge. I wrote this poem, based on the prompt to use the following quotation:

• Giving opens the way for receiving – Florence Scovel Shinn

Here is the poem I wrote, based on this great quote from Florence Scovel Shinn. I hope it starts the week off on a positive foot as we help one another and share smiles!

~christyb

Give, Today

Give, gamble and
Stop adding up the sums of what is lost –
It’s the earnings that are to be the focus,
Ripe in layers of smiles, with a
Dash of hugs.

Give, grin and
Stumble back to the car,
Drunk on feelings of giving food to
Fill his hollow stomach.

Sit, surround yourself in
The sticky honey of love, and know that
It reaches beyond your physical hand,
As a compass that points toward people who
Need so much, yet demand so little.

Follow the direction that the arrow points, and
Drink up more of the satisfaction that
Comes when you help someone else.

Give, today.

©2014 Christy Birmingham

68 thoughts on “Give, Today: A Poem about Helping Others

1. DG MARYOGA

Such an evocative poem dear Christy ! ” Ripe in layers of smiles …” I just loved it and I am thinking that your satisfaction is more when you give,when you spread smiles and make people happy.It works like the unconditional love,I suppose.
    Have a peaceful and creative day , Doda 🙂

2. Rajagopal

Like your simple verse loaded with images of gamble , drink and honey to drive home the associated sense of unrestrained giving , drink-induced euphoria and honeyed bonding . We earn a living by receiving and create lives by giving….be a honeyed giver christy…

Christy at last I am in catch up mode within your posts this evening.. And what a wonderful first post I read.. Loved your poem based upon the prompt.. and you always GIVE dear Christy where ever you go… Thank you for giving us yet another treat of your poetic muse.. Loved it.. 🙂 Hugs Sue

4. Maria F.

I also read Florence Scovel Shinn, but many years ago. I have a compendium of writings which have “The Game of Life and How to Play it”, “Your Word is Your Wand”, “The Power of the Spoken Word”, and “The Secret Door of Success”.

“Sit, surround yourself in
    The sticky honey of love, and know that
    It reaches beyond your physical hand,”

Very nice Christy! I read a lot of Buddhist philosophy now, and this excerpt from your poem reminds me of a lecture I listened to regarding the sense of “self”. The sense of “self” in this philosophy is often seen as a delusion; simply because the ‘self’ is constantly in flux. I suppose we can be seen as souls or spirits in a physical realm, the “self” being as some sort of “identity’ we have when we come to this world. Nevertheless, the “self’ changes and transforms as we grow, to then be lost once again in dying. This is why in love and compassion, it’s the only time when the self is satisfied. Only then the “self’ ceases to crave. Once we leave the realm of giving and compassion, the “craving” comes back. This is the delusion.

Maria,
      Wow, what a deep and insightful comment you have written here. I appreciate it! I am thinking that we need to ‘trust’ that sense of self and be okay with the flow of life too. Many people resist the ‘path’ but I am going to stay strong and follow it. I know you do similar and that is partly what has helped our paths to meet up! Sending you hugs!

5. CORRIE WOERDE

LOVE IT DEAR CHRISTY!
    LAST WEEK I WAS WITH SHARON M.MY BEST FRIEND WHO LIVES IN THE USA.WE’VE SPEND SOME QUALITY TIME TOGETHER…SHA ALWAYS HELPS ME AND I ALWAYS TRY TO HELP HER WHEN NEEDED… ♥♥♥

6. Jacqui Murray

I loved your poem–but I’m going to comment on the video ad below it. I thought that was part of your post, so I pushed play and watched it. For three minutes. It took me till the end to realize it was advertising. I’m not sure what that says about me.

Sigh.

I think it’s more saying that they are getting sneaky with the ads. I can’t control where on the page they show up but I do need them on my page to help support my income. Sorry you had to go through that.