Talk Time: Author Interview with Bill Holland

Bill Holland

Bill Holland, author. He is enjoying some quiet time! Photo Source: Bill Holland.

Come join in on the author interview with Bill Holland! Here we go…!

Christy: Hi Bill, and welcome to Parfait-land! After knowing you online for several years, I am so happy to have you here for a visit today. You are certainly busy these days as an avid blogger, author and HubPages expert. Given your limited free time it means a lot to me that you agreed to do this interview.

Today, let’s focus on your new book Resurrecting Tobias. Go ahead and sit down – let’s get started on this author interview! Tell us a little about yourself and your writing background.

Bill: First, thank you, Christy, for letting me visit Parfait-land.  I know that you know how much I admire your work, but more importantly, I admire you as a human being, so it’s a pleasure being here.

My background? I was a teacher for eighteen years….a business owner…worked at probably twenty-five or thirty jobs over the years…but always wanted to write.  Life just kept getting in the way, or I wasn’t willing to make the commitment…choose whichever excuse you want. J  Finally, a little over three years ago, something snapped inside of me. I certainly wasn’t getting any younger, and I felt the time was running out on my dream, so I quit my teaching job and went freelance full-time.  Just like that I was a writer.

Within six months I was paying my bills as a freelancer, and my first novel was completed and now, three years later, I’m working on novel number three and loving every minute of this experience.

Christy: Wow! You are accomplishing so much! Now I’m curious, what writers inspire you?

Bill: There are so many, Christy. I grew up reading voraciously and I’ve never stopped, but the two authors who jump out immediately are Harper Lee and John Steinbeck.  Among today’s contemporary authors, James Lee Burke tops the list.

Lee and Steinbeck waited years to find a publisher…can you imagine?  Well yes, most of us can imagine.  There are quite a few great writers out there who may never get published.  Anyway, their struggles motivate me.  If Lee and Steinbeck had to work in obscurity for years, then I need to pay my dues as well.

Christy: Great point about paying dues. Let’s talk about YOUR book now, shall we? Who do you think would enjoy reading Resurrecting Tobias?

Bill: Anyone who can relate to man’s ability to face adversities and overcome them all will love this book.  This book is 130,000 words of the human experience.  There will be tears, laughter, and a whole lot of soul-searching and reflection done by anyone who reads about the struggles and triumphs of Tobias Alexander King.

Resurrecting Tobias Book Cover

Resurrecting Tobias, by William D. Holland (aka Bill Holland)

Christy: How would you describe your main character in Resurrecting Tobias? What sets him or her apart from past characters you’ve written about?

Bill: Great question, Christy!  You should do this for a living.

Toby is an extremely talented, and flawed, human being.  His ceiling is seemingly limitless, but he can’t seem to get out of his own way so he can maximize his talents.  Just when it appears he is riding high, he finds a way to crash and burn.  He is his own worst enemy.

How is he different from previous characters I’ve written about? I’m not sure he is.  Most of my main characters are flawed beings. I think human beings are fascinating, and it is how we deal with our own flaws that ultimately defines us.

Christy: Indeed. Humans are fascinating and ultimately complex. What research did you do to write this book?

Bill: Well, this book is a series of flashbacks through Toby’s life, covering fifty years, so I had to make sure my facts were correct regarding events that happened during the 60s, 70s, and so on.  There is a passage in the book about Vietnam, so that took some research, as did some world affairs involving the CIA.

Of course, I was alive throughout the entire time period of this book, so a lot of historical background I already knew.

Christy: Tell us a bit about your writing schedule. How often do you write and do you have a structure to your day?

Bill: I write Monday through Friday, seven a.m. to three p.m., and my days are very structured.  I have each day broken into hour segments, and I schedule each hour for a particular task.  Other writers may not be that structured, but it works best for me.

Mondays are devoted to writing articles for HubPages.  Tuesdays I take care of my customers and their needs. Wednesday and Thursday is for my novels, and Friday I take care of odds and ends that have developed over the week.

Christy: I admire your schedule; I will have to take notes from what you say here. What tips would you give to someone who is interested in writing his or her first book?

Bill: I don’t believe there is any set formula for success in writing books, but I do know you have to write and write on a regular basis. I don’t know of any other way to improve than through practicing your craft.

I don’t use outlines when I write a novel. I start with an idea and write an opening chapter. I then decide how the novel will end, and then the rest is a matter of filling in the story line and character development.  Before I really get started, though, I interview my characters so I know as much about them as possible. Since they will be the ones telling the story, I think it’s necessary to really get to know them.

Lastly, and I think this is crucial, you need to enjoy the process.  A very small percentage of human beings can do what we can do. Most people will never write a novel.  Feel good about the fact that you are one of the few who will do that.

Thank you, Christy!  That was fun, and I greatly appreciate the chance to take over your site for a day.

Christy: Thank YOU for being here, Bill! I’ve enjoyed the visit and appreciate the time you’ve taken with us today.

Help support Bill, aka William D. Holland, by purchasing the book Resurrecting Tobias!

Also, feel free to connect with Bill at his website, William Holland or on Facebook.

62 thoughts on “Talk Time: Author Interview with Bill Holland

1. Janine Huldie

I love and adore you both, so this was so much fun to see you interview Bill and him respond here today. I knew a lot about Bill, but I loved truly learning how he schedules his week out. I have been getting better at this myself, but still Bill is a powerhouse at scheduling and truly appreciated you picking his brain not his and more today. Thank you both and wishing you both a wonderful weekend, too now 🙂

2. Billybuc

Christy, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you allowing me to stop by your site. I’ve admired you for several years, and it is an honor to be there. Thank you my friend…and thanks, Janine. 🙂

Christy.. I clicked to read but need to read properly, its late here now.. So going to climb the wooden hill.. 🙂 but will be back tomorrow to catch up and absorb this interview.. Love and Hugs Sue x

Hi dear Christy!,
    Thank you very much for sharing this great interview… I truly enjoyed to know about Bill… Interesting facts and influences… if he was a teacher and if he likes Steinbeck then I bet his book must have some blends related to both experiences.. Thus, worth reading!. I can also figure it out because of the book’s overview you have both shared with us!. So: Good luck to Bill with his book!. And many hugs to you, Chris, Aquileana 😀

5. Billybuc

Aquileana, thank you so much for the visit. I appreciate your kind words and yes, there is a bit of Steinbeck in the book…and a touch of Hermann Hesse. 🙂

6. Miranda Stone

Great interview, Christy! You asked some fantastic questions. It was very interesting to read about Mr. Holland’s writing process.

7. rollyachabotbooks

Great interview Christy and thank Bill for sharing your story with us, you are a prolific writer and one who certainly made his rounds and left a mark in all writing circles. When I think of you I think, stedfast yet willing to change and adapt. Stay true to your craft Bill and the craft will stay true to you… well done Christy, love your Poetic Parfait and the variety of content.

Hugs from Alberta

8. irinadim

Thank you, Christy, for this great interview with Bill, whose dream of becoming a successful writer has come true. I admire Bill’s working schedule and his view that what ultimately defines us is how we deal with our own flaws. If Steinbeck is his role model as a writer, then his novel should be a great read. I like Steinbeck, so I guess I’ll have to get Bill’s book.
    Cheers 🙂 Irina

9. Billybuc

Irina, thank you so much. I hope you enjoy reading the book as much as I enjoyed writing it. There is a great deal of me in Toby King. 🙂 Have a wonderful weekend.

10. Dee

Hi Christy! I enjoyed reading Bill’s thoughts on writing. He is such a great person and has a wealth of wisdom to pass on to everyone. Hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend.

11. Mike

The gem that I’ve taken away from this interview is Bill’s concept of ‘interviewing his characters’ – this is a strategy I will attempt to adopt so I have great praise for the interviewer who extracted the information.

12. Rajagopal

great interview of yours christy with bill holland , offering informative insights into a writer’s mind and the craft of writing ; the icing on cake is yr feminine grace wrapping around the interview process…hip hip…..

13. Resa

That was a really great interview, from both sides. I loved the questions and the answers.
    The best to Bill and Resurrecting Tobias! “lol” Parfait-land! It is quite lovely here.

14. Swetank

I would say a great discussion than interview. It was great to know you Bill. You are truly an amazing person. Thank you Christy for bringing him up here at Parfait-land! 🙂

Be Bettr, Stay Bettr! 🙂
    Swetank.

15. Pingback: Distractions Blow Focus | Artistry With Words

16. Pingback: Distractions Blow Focu | William Holland

Christy thank you for replying as I had forgotten to come back to read.. I have now read in full and loved your interview with Bill… Such a lovely gentleman and inspiring that his passion even through all his varied career was to write..
    It shows us when we put our minds to something we can achieve it.. And working on his 3rd book too.. Brilliant! 🙂
    Nice to have met you Bill via your lovely Host Christy,.. I happen to be a fan of her writings also, and Christy is also testament that Will power and determination of spirit can achieve that which you love doing… :-D…
    Blessings sent to both.
    Sue

Sue, Your comment is breathtaking! Thanks and now I have a huge smile 🙂 Bill’s caring spirit shines through in this interview and so glad you connected with his words. I appreciate the kind words for me too ((HUGS)) – Happy Friday to you both!

18. Billybuc

Sue, what a lovely message to wake up to. Thank you so much. I honor my parents with my perseverance. They are the ones who taught me to never give up, and to follow dreams. Thank you, Mom and Dad!

19. Pingback: Why a Novelist Created a Coloring Book | Poetic Parfait

20. Ka Malana - Fiestaestrellas.com

I really enjoyed reading this interview and it’s a pleasure to meet and be inspired by another author/writer. I’m always impressed when I read about a writer’s process that’s as efficient as yours is, Bill! Congratulations to you on your coloring book and all your novels. You are highly productive, in my book 😉 My bestest wishes! aloha, Ka

Liked by 2 people