The Capital: A Poem

Self Love is amazing

Loving the self is… beautiful. Photo Source: Hal Linh Truong, CC BY 4.0, via Flickr

Hello and welcome to a place of feeling like a champion because of how you talk to YOURSELF. Welcome to a feeling of wanting to be the best you can be, regardless of whether someone from the past has tried to hold you back from being that. Here’s to doing more, being more and loving oneself, even if you have been cheated on or hurt in another way in the past. Loving myself is the greatest gift of all, and I hope you love yourself too xo

~Love christyb

The Capital

He chose her over me,

As though she was first place and
I was a lonely second –

And now it seems you take the
Last space in my life, outside my
Heart’s walls and miles from my reality.

I realized there is a place for me that
Need only consist of my hands over my
Own heart, settling it and signing it with a
Capital “I” –

And that myself gets the gold star after all.

©2014 Christy Birmingham

96 thoughts on “The Capital: A Poem

1. Billybuc

Beautiful….there is a poem, and I forget it all, but it speaks of a quiet place inside us all, where words and actions cannot hurt us, where we are comforted by the knowledge that we are perfect just the way we are. It sounds like you have found that place. 🙂 Hugs my friend.

Nice one dear Chris… I liked the detail of the golden star at the end.
    You are a little shining star at the end, so those lines fit you well. (★)
    Sending you hugs and wishing you a great friday and weekend ahead, Aquileana 😀

3. Letizia

Signing it with a capital “I” – I like that. I like the positive tone of your poems. You’re able to achieve that while remaining unique to your own voice, not sounding cliche. It’s not an easy thing to do which is one of the (many) reasons, I enjoy visiting your blog 🙂

4. Swetank

Signing it with a capital “I” – I like that too!! Truly it was one of your best creation I have read. In short “Be You & Be First”.. Isn’t it? Loved the story and the message my dear friend! Thanks for the motivation. 🙂

Be Bettr, Stay Bettr! 🙂
    Swetank!

5. irinadimirina

An important lesson learnt through the experience of rejection – let go of the past and love yourself first.
    I love the Capital “I” and the gold star.

Enjoy your weekend, Christy! Hugs ❤ Irina

6. rollyachabotbooks

“Bravo” as the readers stand and call “Bravo” Christy you are far from second place, you lead the race like a true champion and bare the gold star beside all you write. I have had the pleasure of knowing your for a long while and watch the growth and it has been my pleasure. Your words are powerful and filled with great emotion which has empowered you to be the person you are…

Hugs from Alberta

7. madhavaraopabbaraju

Dear Christyb,

My first visit to your blog and nice to have your introduction.

The poem is very nice and your feelings and espressions are pure !!

“ Loving myself is the greatest gift of all” – VERY MUCH TRUE. Every human being in this world, particularly women, should realise it. I use the words `particularly women’ because women no longer should feel deprived when this world is male-dominated world.

Here I mention, “ the Hindu (INDIAN) Scriptures: `The Worship begins where and when you have BELIEF; When you have Belief, you will have LOVE’. What I mean to say is, that when you love yourself, you develop Belief in yourself; when you have belief in yourself, you start worshiping yourself at the core of your SELF; when you worship your SELF, it is nothing but worshiping JESUS THE GOD. Then everything will be crystal clear and you know what to do; how to do; and when to do in your own style merrily !!! ”.

wishing you all the best,
    yours friendly,
    Madhava Rao.

Very nice to have you stop by and to read your understanding of the poem. Loving oneself is important, regardless of gender, age or other characteristic. Here is to being proud of who you are and confident!!

8. Dee

If we let others define us through their selfish actions, we will become a shadow of a person. Your words here demonstrate how we should all react to such responses, we matter and have purpose!

9. Liz

Lovely poem. “You can never love someone else unless you learn to love yourself.” I have that boldly printed in my office. Have a great weekend!

Brilliantly penned Christy.. You are the Capital most definitely.. And its wonderful that you can look back and put all into perspective.. As you see your self as Worthy and that the most important love of all. Is to learn to Love Oneself.. 🙂
    Love watching you grow! 🙂 Hugs Sue xx