World of Windows: A Poem

Woman looking out window without glass

Do you see beyond? Here is a window that holds no glass. Photo by Leonardo Aguiar from São Paulo, Brazil (Sugar Cane Farm House Window Thoughts) [CC-BY-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons.

World of Windows

I slept
(One or four times)
In a world of windows
That held no glass.

I reached
Through the windows
To touch his left arm,
Her right hand,
Your collarbone.

I saw
Monochromatic parts
That created whole beings
Who varied by name, not by
His measurable height,
Her dark coloring,
Your almond eyes.

I slept
(One time)
In a blanket that wrapped
Around us all,
With clarity, not criticism,
With unity, not unapologetic anger.
I welcome that dream again.

©2014 Christy Birmingham

As I wrote this poem, several thoughts that went through my mind. Here are a few of them. I refuse to give up hope that the world will be free of racism. I refuse to give up hope that the world can have a blanket of fibers that fit each one of us in it. I envision the woven material, so complex, joining us together and covering us with love. Equality in race, in gender, and in every other way, is a vision that has no glass dividing us. I extend my hand and take yours in hopes of starting the chain of “together we can.”

xo Christy

144 thoughts on “World of Windows: A Poem

1. Billybuc

That’s a great photograph, isn’t it? Perfect for setting the scene for a wonderful poem that embraces us all. Your wishes are my wishes. Hopefully I’ll live long enough to see that day arrive.

hugs my friend

bill

2. dilipnaidu

“I slept
    in a world of windows
    that held no glass”! 👍

Powerful words with deep insights – to me it implies “having no pretences” I am what I am and I am content. 😊

Thank you!

3. marjma2014

Absolutely agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments of your poem. If only people could be more accepting of differences, whether they be of race, religion, colour, sexual orientation. Education is and must be the key for us and future generations.

4. john flanagan

Christy,
    a poem that has been conceived in an elegant mind and a caring heart
    and delivered with real style and craft. This is how our world and our lives should be.
    In Admiration
    john

5. Stephen Thom

Very haunting otherworldly quality to this Christy i really liked the intriguing opening (i slept (one or four times)) lovely fragmented images and use of colour throughout to blend into your overall meaning, as the poem unfolds from the visual and oblique and develops into something deeper. well balanced and affecting

6. Cyan Ryan

Great poem Christy. Was I correct in picking up on a reference to Martian Luther King’s “I Have A Dream” speech?

At Thanksgiving this past November in the states with my extended family, I was shocked and disappointed to hear the racists comments made about the riots in Ferguson, Missouri, which is within driving distance from where I live. It’s such a sad thing how people can make generalizations about millions of people based on a few, it is actually very unintelligent to dismiss the intellect of others in such a way, which is ironic. In satirizing others, they were creating a satire of themselves, to blind to see themselves the way they were describing others. I love my extended family, I guess, but I am glad I don’t see them often. Some of them are ok, and didn’t say nonsense things, but some of them, it is just sad to hear how they think.

Hi Ry,
      Well, there certainly can be references made to MLK’s speech but I wouldn’t dare to do it as that is such a classic piece to look up to. I am honored by any comparison to it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on what happened at your family event. Some people still say, “there is racism?” and I just don’t know where to begin… yes, unfortunately, it’s still out there, here, around us… I am so glad you have a loving spirit and openness. I feel how caring you are, and you are a great example of how to see the inner spirit rather than the outer color. Thank you for your kindness.

7. Letizia

Beautiful poem, Christy. And I love the use of parenthesis – adds both a delicacy and strength to those particular words and plays with the rhythm a bit, very cool. It seems that you’re playing around with your poetic form a bit these days.

8. Mike

It occurs to me on reading this that touch would be better than sight for evaluating others. I share your aspiration Christy and gladly accept you hand. Powerful message – well done.

9. Ste J

I still bewilders me that people feel the need to hate, perhaps they have nothing more in their lives which is sad. I admire your refusals, the world just needs to calm down and appreciate what they have, not what some ancestors did to some other ancestors.

10. Valentine Logar

Wonderful images and imagery. I try to keep my heart hopeful, truly. Each of us have that flame.

Thank you for sharing this one, I love it. I love also you shared what was in your heart and mind as you wrote it.

11. Rajagopal

your window without glass will have its place around the open windows and doors of mahatma gandhi and the table of brotherhood of martin luther king. what a topical poem amid recent ferguson incident….! best wishes, christy…

12. Carolyn Page

Beautiful, Christy.
    I too refuse to believe our world is to be lost in the negative. I also believe it is by his thoughts, her right actions, and your beautiful voice all blending as one that will bring, eventually, harmony and bliss. Time is on our side…

I replied on Twitter. I hope it makes sense. It is a good idea but doesn’t fit well with this blog’s take on poetry and books… It is nothing personal only I have to stay true to the purpose of the blog that people subscribe to.

2. Swetank

No worries buddy, I understand and respect your reasons. And I am satisfied with it. Once you told me to do a guest post for your bog and I wasn’t prepared for it and thought it would be a great idea to start with your blog. I am not good at poem so how can I post there?

Oh I see! Okay, you can post at my blog if you have some sort of literary-related post, such as thoughts about writing, authors, books… or related. If you do not think that it will be valuable to you that is fine, it was only a suggestion 🙂

13. marsar2

Thanks for sharing these beautiful, thoughtful poems with us :).

I most particularly liked the second stanza; that play on pronouns conveys lots of meanings in a powerful way.

14. madhavaraopabbaraju

Dear Christy Birmingham,

A nice poem indeed with great feelings. It quotes, `as you sow, so you reap’. Similarly, `as you think, so you look at the world and the world appears to you as you saw’. If your thoughts are noble and high, you love all the creatures equally. I extend my support to you through this glass less window of the world. Wishing you A HAPPY AND MERRY CHRISTMAS.

yours friendly,
    Madhava Rao.

15. DG MARYOGA

Endless perspective through the open window to our world and hopeful thoughts in your prominent poetic expression ! Lots of noble sentiments placed side by side and a sweet dream overflowing thoughtfulness … Your poem and thoughts are so timely,dear Christy 🙂
    Have a lovely festive season ! Hugs, Doda ❤

16. Dee

Oh Christy, your poem left me feeling your thoughts on the topic of racism: how beautiful to hope for a world where all the glass does not exist between any of us. The photo was a perfect fit for your poem. I hope one day we will all see this come to pass.