Short Story: Jane’s Christmas Shoes

Red Shoes and Christmas with Jane

Red heels and Jane. Photo: Helen Harrop, (CC BY-SA 4.0), via Flickr

Jane’s Christmas Shoes

Christmas time was coming soon. Jane was only seven years old, but she felt like a big girl. She stood in her mom’s red High heeled shoes that she found in the closet at home and walked around with them on her feet. She nearly tripped doing that last week, and her dad giggled along with her as he caught her in his arms.

“Your mom doesn’t even wear those Red shoes anymore,” he said to her, “so you can have them, Jane.”

How Jane loved those high heeled shoes. She wore them around the house, snuck them In her backpack to wear at school and even kept them under her blanket with her when she went to bed each night.

Then, last week, on the car ride home from school, Jane asked her mom why there was a lady walking on the sidewalk in Sandals.

“That’s silly, mom,” Jane said from the car’s backseat. “That woman doesn’t even know it’s winter and her feet will be cold. Why doesn’t she have proper warm shoes on like I do?”

Jane’s mom didn’t respond as she drove them home. Once back at their house, she took Jane to the couch and explained to her That the woman was homeless, which meant the woman didn’t have enough money to buy winter shoes.

Jane looked at her mom with wide eyes, as she had not heard of the word “homeless” before. “I’m sorry she’s without a home like us,” Jane said and looked around at the large living room full of toys, a couch, and a TV. “But Mom you have so many shoes in the closet that dad says you don’t wear anymore. How come you have so many, and that woman has none?”

Jane’s mother looked at her with tears in her eyes. “You’re right, Jane,” she said. “We’ll do something about this!”

And, with those words, she walked to the hall closet, took out her warmest boots and put them in a plastic bag. “Let’s go take these to that woman,” she said to Jane.

Jane smiled really big And then said to her mom, “Just one minute!”

The young girl raced to her bedroom and lifted the bed sheets. There were the fantastic red heels. Jane picked them up and took them with her to her mom. “Let’s give these to her too.”

Jane’s mom gave her a big hug, as she knew how much those heeled Shoes meant to the little girl. “Are you sure, honey?”

Jane responded without hesitation, “Yes, mom. Christmas is for giving.”

©2014 Christy Birmingham

****

I hope you are all having a wonderful month! The Christmas spirit of giving is all around us and don’t be shy about being a part of it 🙂 Many smiles to all of you, just like the girl has in this short story about Christmas time!

Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas, if you celebrate it ♥

xo Christy

167 thoughts on “Short Story: Jane’s Christmas Shoes

1. syl65

Thank you for giving us this wonderful story for Christmas, Christy! Christmas truly is for giving. I love what you did with the red letters, it caught my attention before I even started reading. Christmas blessings to you 🙂

2. rollyachabotbooks

Hi Christy… loved the story and the unselfish giving. Young Jane will grow into a fine young lady as she has many of the attributes she will need. We can give at anytime of the year and it is special when someone receives a gift your offer…

Hugs from Alberta

3. Cyan Ryan

Excellent short story Christy. I was homeless for a short time before I got my current apartment, and lived at a homeless shelter. It sensitized me to the homeless, and gave me a heart for them I hadn’t had before.

It’s still hard to go to shelters and serve sometimes though, knowing what it’s like, and the kinds of conversations that go on between the homeless and their own. It’s easy to look down on the homeless who drink a lot, without understanding that there is often PTSD and extreme depression and loneliness that has lead to their being homeless and being unable to hold a job, and that drinking is a way they self-medicate to cope and keep from killing themselves. I hate how the homeless are stereotyped as begging for money to go get drunk, without understanding the psychological suffering one experiences that leads to being homeless often times. It’s so easy to judge them, without understanding their pain and the lives they might have lived before they were homeless, and just how hard it actually is to get out of a homeless situation into a more successful situation. It’s such a dark life, and can feel so hopeless.

I’ll never forget the darkness in my life when I was homeless, and what it did to my mind, and what I did to try to cope. I didn’t become an alcoholic or a drug addict, but it was dark, and I am more sensitized to others and more compassionate to the hurting because of it, and I am grateful for the experience in retrospect.

Ry,
      I am sad reading that you were homeless but then I am so happy to read you now have a place to call home. I know times will get easier for you, and you have your creativity always there with you to give you strength (along with friends like me, Pepper and Aqui, of course!). I think you are so brave to be moving forward and you help inspire me, especially at this time of year. Wishing you a great weekend, full of smiles 🙂

4. DG MARYOGA

You just let it glow dear Christry ! Warm and touching story touching the real essence of Christmas;great the joy of giving …
    Wishing you a very Happy Christmas ★★.✿¸.•°*”˜ƸӜƷ˜”*★★.✿¸.• ❤

5. vivachange77

A beautiful story. I love the way CHRISTMAS dances down the page, Most of all I’m moved by the love and generosity of spirit that pervades every action between the little girl, her parents and the homeless woman who receives the gift of the red shoes.

6. Rajagopal

Very well thought out and beautifully crafted short story , christy ; replete with , not only the spirit of Christmas , but also exquisitely weaving in its alphabets , highlighted in red , which , incidentally , is colour of the pair of shoes that held jane’s fancy…the spirit of Christmas , like most festivals of other religions , is universal . So there is nothing like ‘if you celebrate it’ , as the whole liberal world , not bound by narrow and divisive dogmas , celebrates it…jingle bells and merry Christmas to you too dear christy….

Hi Raj,
      You are very observant, my friend! The way you noted all the little features of the story makes my heart happy. It’s wonderful to have my writing appreciated. I hope jingle bells are surrounding you, along with love, this Christmas, Raj!!

Hi Aqui,
      Thank you for the comment and for the love you send me when you stop by! I think that giving is a way to receive love in our hearts, don’t you? I send you a BIG hug and wish you a wonderful weekend too! xo

7. balroop2013

Hi Christy,

You have very beautiful thoughts, I love how observant is Jane and she must have picked up such compassion from her surroundings. There is a subtle message in this story, very suitable for young students. Can I pass on this story to my friends?

Thanks for being so thoughtful! Wishing you Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Hi Balroop,
      THank you for the lovely comment here. Of course you may pass the story on to anyone who you think will enjoy reading it. I am honored by that!

You are thoughtful too and I am thankful to have met you online this year 🙂 Happy Christmas to you xo

8. Molly Mortensen

What a sweet story! I was afraid this was going to be one of those sad Christmas stories, but it made me fell all warm inside instead. Thanks for sharing! 🙂 Happy Holidays! I hope you have a nice Christmas.

9. Janni Styles

Lovely story, love the child spirit of giving, so pure and so sincere. You captured it well and love the way you used the letters throughout to spell Christmas. Merry Christmas to you, sweet Christy, lots of love and hugs and very Happy New Year wished your way as well ❤ ❤ ❤

10. field of thorns

Christy, what a lovely and inspirational story, “Jane’s Christmas Shoes”. Beautifully written, and I love the bold red letters spelling out “Christmas”, a very nice touch! Have a wonderful, warm, and safe Holiday Season and a Happy New Year!

Always warm wishes,
    Pepper

Those red letters are bold reminders of the giving spirit 🙂 Thank you for the kind words here, Pepper! I wish you a beautiful Christmas and a Happy New Year too! I am glad we ‘met’ in 2014 and look forward to 2015 blogging and chatting!

11. D.G.Kaye

What a lovely story about the gift of giving and realizing how grateful we should be for all we have. I do this every year, clean out closets and give clothes and shoes and boots to those in need. 🙂 Merry Christmas dear girl! ,3

Yes, I was just at the local shelter the other day to donate a warm blanket. I often think about how much we have by having warm clothes and a roof over our heads. Hugs and Merry Christmas to you too! xo

12. pictimilitude

Love your short story, Christy. OMgosh…you have me an idea. I LOVE it when you give me good ideas! I’m so thankful for you and your smiles. Sending hugs and love your way! Happy tidings for a wonderful season!

13. Poetsmith

A beautiful, caring post! Really taking time to think of the less fortunate, especially during this season of Christmas… 🙂 A wonderful season and best wishes to you and family, Christy! Love, Iris 🙂

14. Sarah Potter Writes

Christy, you’ve turned my eyes all blurry with tears. What a lovely Christmas story, and all decorated with red letters. Terrible to be without shoes in that cold, although not far back in history there were loads of people in that position, so there has been progress.

In the town where I live, the churches have a rota for the homeless to sleepover and be fed supper and breakfast every night of the week during the months of November through to March.

Hi Sarah,
      Now I am touched by your emotional response to the story. That is wonderful that your local church is taking those actions and I am forever grateful for kindnesses such as those. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

1. Sarah Potter Writes

Yes, thank you, Christy, all is well this weekend. The sun is shining and the snow has missed us, too. Also my son is home for Christmas and the New Year, and fully recovered from a bout of pleurisy he had for a couple of months. I’m enjoying spoiling him whilst he’s here and making sure he eats well!

15. Pingback: Salsa Dancing and Writing: More in Common Than You Realize | Poetic Parfait