Progress Update on My Book and a Few Secrets Spilled

Writing and updating a book

Writing a poetry book. Update time! Photo via Poetic Parfait.

Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Strike that. Read, write, scratch out the word, rewrite, scratch that out, write more, sleep, major lightbulb moment in the middle of the night that makes no sense in the morning, write…

If you are a writer, then that might seem like a familiar pattern. I am in the midst of crazyville, and it’s called publishing a book. Want to join me for a cup of coffee as we catch up?

Book update is here! I have now officially finished it. Woohoo, shout it from the kitchen as I pour us more coffee! I have now finished the first draft of the poetry manuscript. I’m so excited to have the poetry written and rewritten and now be into the next phase.

Wait, there are secrets to spill. I promised that in the title of this post.

Okay, Secret #1.

There are 80 poems in total.

Yes, 80. Some came easily to me while others were in need of a few extra coats of paint (actually some of them had their entire surfaces changed). A whole lot of them will be ones that you’ve never read before. That’s right, quite of few of the poems that will be in the new book have never been published on this blog or anywhere else for that matter.

So, at this point in the poetry book crafting process I’m dividing the book into sections, which are like chapters. Each section is a chunk that fits within the overall book theme.

Which leads me to Secret #2.

Ahem. Secret #2: The overall theme of the book is about the self. Yes, the self. Not myself specifically. More about the general concept of the self and its various attributes. In poetic form. In christyb voice.

While this is my second adventure into book publishing, it’s different than the last time. My first book Pathways to Illumination was traditionally published, by Redmund Productions, and for this next book I am going to try my hand at self-publishing. I want to have a variety of options available to me, including books that are both traditionally and self-published. Variety is good, I hear.

Now onto the next steps for the book.

I will continue with sorting the poems into sections. Then it’s off to the editing desk. While the manuscript is over there, I’ll concentrate on getting a book cover and research formatting options as well as seeking answers to many self-publishing how-to questions that I have going round in my head.

When I have the publishing date set for the book, I will let you know. It will be in 2015 for sure. I’m looking forward to showing the book to you all! The manuscript is, for the most part, a positive one, with plenty of spirit and vibrant energy. I feel that when I read through the poems.

I hope you all have a great weekend ahead and, hey, I’ll see you on the other side of the Super Bowl, okay?

©2015 Christy Birmingham

127 thoughts on “Progress Update on My Book and a Few Secrets Spilled

1. markbialczak

Ooooh, I like reading your christyb secrets this Saturday morning. I feel so … privvy.

Eighty poems with a theme of self must have taken much deep digging, my friend. Congratulations on the finish of the creative process. The self-publishing journey should be memorable to read about here, too. I’m looking forward to buying your book No. 2. ❤

Awww Mark, what an awesome-tastic comment! Yup, just made that up! Well you deserve to be in the inner circle of secrets. Thank you for your support here and in general. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend ❤

Wonderful to know that you look forward to reading the book, Raymond! My parents are so supportive too. It’s wonderful to have people who care about me and understand my love for writing. Hugs!

2. Billybuc

Best wishes to you, Christy. We are both at the same point in the process. Mine is basically done, if I can ever stop tinkering with it and leave it alone for more than one day. 🙂 I wish you nothing but huge success. 🙂 Hugs coming your way from foggy Olympia.

It’s the editing and wanting to get it ‘just right’ – which we never know if/when that’s going to happen! Totally get that, Bill. Hugs and thank you! We had quite the fog last night here so I am thinking you probably did too!

3. Mary

Well now this is a big cause for major celebrations! Congratulations on finishing your book, it’s an accomplishment of hard work and awaiting sweet rewards.

4. a11an0n

Sounding great Christy, and, so positive!! Yay!!
    Have you any audio of you reading that I might be able to listen to? Then I will be able to read your writing in your voice!! Similar to reading Morgan Freeman quotes in his voice, 🙂
    I would probably look for it in electronic format, not particular about which as they can always be converted. I do use my kindle a lot for reading, and, the kindle app on my android tablet as epub and pdf.
    Going to keep my eyes peeled for it, but, better yet, drop me a line when it’s released!!
    Cheers

Malcolm

HI Malcolm, really nice of you!! I always like seeing you here and your support of my poetry means a lot to me. I will absolutely keep you updated on the book. Sending a hug as I hope your week is off to a great start!

HUGS and hope you are having a great vacation, Deb! I caught up on your blog the other day and loved reading about what you’ve been up to. Thanks for your support of the upcoming book and for your friendship ❤ xo

Ohhh I’ve got a lot to learn about self publishing! But I’m thankful to have friends to reach out to for support and, of course, the almighty Google can offer tips I’m sure. Thank you, Michelle!! You’re such a great friend. HUGS

5. Debbie

Congratulations, Christy — isn’t it a WONDERFUL feeling, having the book finally written? Sure, there are always edits, refinements, changes. But oh, what a feeling to finally type The End!! Do keep us in the loop as to its progress, okay??

6. Cate Russell-Cole

Finishing is an awesome feeling. Congratulations, Christy and the very, very best of luck with the book. You are always welcome on CommuniCATE as a guest poster, if you’d like to talk about the book process and of course, the link to your new work will be shared.

Hi Cate, wow, thank you for the offer to guest post at your wonderful site! The first time I did that was such an amazing experience. I would love to do that! Thank you and let’s plan for when the book publishes. Talking about the book process is a great idea. xxoo

7. gageier

Liebe Christy schön das dir die Bilder auf dem Fotoblog gefallen wünsche dir einen schönen Start in die neue Woche mit ganz lieben Grüßen in Freundschaft Klaus

Christy!~ So great ⭐ … I wish you the very best with the book and its release and please know in advance I am looking forward to it!. Best wishes to you, always, and just because of you, Aquileana 😀

9. Resa

How exciting! I love “Pathways to Illumination”, and I figure I’ll love the new one.
    Surely I’ll have done my graf style review of “Pathways to Illumination” before your new book comes out. I figure that should be in a bout 2 weeks! 🙂 🙂
    Have a wonderful week, Christy!

Hi Resa, ohhh thank you! No rush on the review, the book will be a few months before coming out. I just felt excited about my progress finishing the manuscript and wanted to share. Your offer to help and support too is so kind. I am wishing you a great rest of your week too!! 🙂 ❤

10. Heartafire

I am looking forward to your book Christy, I do understand the challenge and tenacity it takes to write and publish a book. So far, I have failed in my efforts to write my book that still sits with only a title. I had some of it written but my love (the narcissist) discouraged me and I deleted it, but will start again one day. A free ebook sits at bookrix.com , so far over 600 people have gone there, that is encouraging. Bravo to you…I am excited for you.

Awww thank you for the comment here and for the encouragement! I am doing my best to get through it. I do hope you will publish a book and then all of your fans (I’m one for sure!) will come buy a copy. Can you provide me with a link to your free e-book, if you don’t mind my taking a peak? xo

11. Molly Mortensen

haha I can so relate to your read, write, lightbulb moment. I keep paper and a pencil beside my bed for those moments. (I can now actually write straight in the dark.)

Congrats on finishing your book! That’s so cool that you’ve decided to self publish this one. I’m glad to hear that it’s mostly positive and love the idea of it being about self. Good luck!

Thanks Molly for your wonderful words! I hear enthusiasm in your words and love that 🙂 As for writing in the dark, wow, you’re a pro to be able to write straight. I have to put on the lamp and then my eyes are like noooo because the bright light is so hard on the eyes! OH dear, writers…! 🙂

12. colinandray

Hi Christy – First of all, many thanks for being our (Ray and I) latest Follower. Ray is hopeless on the keyboard but very good at giving me ideas to write about. I hope you get a chance to read a number of our Posts and enjoy them as much as we enjoyed creating them!
    Next – What a thrill to find you in the process of final book revisions and contemplating self publishing. I too am in exactly that position and, being my first book, am constantly on the lookout for ideas and suggestions. Who needs to reinvent the wheel? 🙂

Ohhh excellent, I look forward to us both releasing books soon! Yes, it’s wonderful to connect with you (and Ray) and glad you’re able to step in at the keyboard for him hehe 🙂 I’ll be back over to visit again soon; I look forward to it!!

13. Pingback: Book Update #2 and New Review of Pathways to Illumination | Poetic Parfait