Red, door, and more

Short Story: Red Door and More

Red, door, and more

Red of the door that appears. Photo via Pixabay.

Creativity for the day. It has been a while since I shared some of my fiction here. This is my newest short story. It is called Red Door and More.

Red Door and More

Was that door new?

It hadn’t been there yesterday, this morning, two minutes ago, had it? He’d been out of bed at 5:42am and had only consumed half a mug of coffee. He wondered if  he was at the woah-my-head-is-making-crap-up stage.

Well, it looks like the latter stage was the one to play with today, thought Brian. Only he wasn’t sure if he would suit the character of the situation well enough as he was hadn’t shaved… yet. As he itched his chin, he considered how many times he’d said that to himself this week. He even pondered whether he’d said it out loud. Not that Ginger cared; she was too busy scratching at the legs of his coffee table anyway.

Another sip of coffee and a thought about the whether he had refreshed her water bowl lately, and then he was somehow down on his hands and knees on the floor. Just to the right of the kitchen counter. Hell there was even a doorknob on this red door.

Knock? He laughed to himself. Yeah, knock and shave. He laughed out loud this time. The sound of fabric being torn met his ears and he knew already Ginger was at work on her project in the living room.

He opened the door and peered through. He couldn’t fit; that was obvious. Ironic, he’d always seemed to come up short for things and now here he was too much for something. He spared himself the emptiness of laughing to a room that wouldn’t respond to him.

Through the doorway, he saw a thin corridor, and there were doors on both sides that looked much the same as this one he had opened. Each door was shiny red with a brass handle. As he continued to look through the open door, he started to see a figure at the end of the corridor.

The figure began to get bigger, and he saw that it was an orange creature with tubes that stuck out for a few centimeters from a bald head in the place where a human’s ears would be. He had black eyes, all black, no white around them, and they faced forward. They faced him.

As the creature came closer, it started to run, its bare orange feet pounding on the cement floor of this long corridor. Brian couldn’t take his eyes off of the blackness that seemed to devour his thoughts that filled his head on those nights he spent staring at the ceiling.

As the creature neared, Brian took note of the details of the grey jumpsuit that it wore. There was a nametag on the upper left chest. It said, “Radiation.”

And it was then that Brian squeezed his eyes tight together, trying to squeeze them so hard that he could somehow squish this orange thing, this mutant that was barreling toward him. Brian could no longer feel his hands although he desperately wanted to shut the door. Instead, he heard the words of a male voice all too familiar to him. “Alright Brian, time for your next treatment.”

And he knew he was in the pale blue gown under the dull off-white sheets in the bed that had held him for too long. As the loudspeaker above said, “Paging Dr. Cantone,” he wondered how Ginger was doing in her new home and if she knew that he really would rather be with her still. He wished he had shaved before he’d been admitted here. How he had so many wishes. Photon radiation therapy had never been one of them.

©2015 Christy Birmingham

65 thoughts on “Short Story: Red Door and More

1. DG MARYOGA

The red door predisposes the reader and the story becomes gripping even before it starts;lots of suspense blended with science fiction and the end comes with a twist that relieved the tension … Oh Christy Dear,I was scared in this thin long corridor,I felt the orange creature approaching me … I mean,your narrative skill is of high standards !!!
    Have a wonderful and creative new week ! Fondest wishes, Doda 🙂

2. Chris

Nice!

There was a moment when I thought Ginger might have been something horrible, instead of a faithful companion.

To have the monster turn out to be illness and the associated “treatments” make this short story all the more haunting.

3. Pingback: My Article Read (2-15-2015) (2-16-2015) | My Daily Musing

4. vivachange77

Good story! Every sentence led me just a little bit further and fleshed out the surroundings a little more fully. And then the end came as a surprise and wrapped up the whole package, I’d enjoy reading more of your short stories. 🙂

5. JL0073

Great story and definitely worth reading more than once. As someone mentioned above, this would do really well in a collection of flash fiction if you ever plan to put together an ebook or print collection of flash fiction stories.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m thinking of doing in the near future. I have other flash fiction I haven’t posted on this site (and more in my head, as does every writer!). My next book coming in a few months is poetry. It’s exciting what is ahead. Thank you for the encouragement!

6. hilal achmar

Radiation.
    Not only uranium radiation, photons can enter our bodies. It turns out other people’s minds, cultures, belief systems, worldviews, and good / bad behavior also can irradiate us. They radiate through the door that we do not fully we realize …. 🙂

The Door.
    The Closest Door we rarely enter, is the door leading to our souls. I’m sure you often enter it 🙂 Red Door and More, a good short story. I feel join in concern. Short Story is the a stage of an experience or inner dialogue. :). I like this post…. 🙂

Thank you, Hilal. I am always happy to see you here! It is true that the red door is a look into the soul and that many people are hurting at their core. Your words add to the story’s meaning well.

7. Stephen Thom

This was great, I’ve really enjoyed the fiction pieces of yours that I’ve read – a nice blend of quirky/dark/humourous/surreal. I hope to read more – I like as well the contrast between some of your poetry, really different types of expression. You pulled off the twist ending here well, the resigned internal dialogue at the end worked well. I liked the little bits of attention to detail, like the brass handles and the radiation name-tag, really helped pull me in. And the word ‘barrelling’! Great work, liking your short stories and your style with them, have a good week 🙂

Thank you, Stephen! I am glad you enjoyed the quirkiness of it as that seems to come out in my short fiction pieces. You are one of my favorite fiction writers (Yes!) and so your compliments humble me. Thank you! 🙂