Writing about spaceships

My Love of Spaceships: Guest Post by Author Natacha Guyot

Hello friends! I hope you are flying high today because we’re spending time in the skies, way up there! Today author Natacha Guyot is visiting us to talk about spaceships, science fiction, writing, and how all three tie together. Let’s give her a warm welcome.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Profile Photo of Author Natacha Guyot

Meet Author Natacha Guyot.

I was introduced to Science Fiction when only two years old; with the Muppet Show episode featuring Star Wars cast members from the Original Trilogy. Yet, my first vibrant memory of a space ship isn’t the Pigs in Space craft but the starships in the actual Star Wars movies, which I saw when seven. Up to this day, I have a great fondness for the Millenium Falcon.

I appreciate different types of Science Fiction, but Space Opera might be my favorite. The strong stories in space (including battles) of it have to do with such a liking. When I used to create fan videos, the space sequences were always a joy to incorporate into my projects.

Spaceships are fascinating whether as machines (means of transportation, flying homes for one or more characters) or in a rarer form as sentient beings. The latter case was one of the reason that I watched the TV series Farscape with much interest. The Leviathans were a fascinating species and I liked how the communication was developed whether via their symbiotic alien pilot for the pureblood Leviathans or via sounds and lights for Talyn, the Peacekeeper/Leviathan hybrid. This fascination eventually led to delving in more details about this special spaceship’s storyline in my essay Talyn’s Heroic Journey in Farscape.

Ironically, I haven’t have written many stories involving spaceships so far. In my first novella, La Cité de Sharianth, my main character was at a military academy and dreamed of becoming a renowned pilot. Yet, the story never took the space travel direction. My first novel, Les Vestiges de l’Ombre involved space travel, but it wasn’t a crucial type of scenery or events. The same can be said of my upcoming novella The Dream Crusher.

In the future, I hope to develop stories that more Space Opera oriented. It will likely include some with space military dimension à la Mass Effect. Having returned to fiction writing in 2014 after a ten-year break has made me eager to revisit old plot and universe ideas, as well as new ones. Beside Fantasy, Science Fiction remains my genre of predilection to write. So, my readers can expect space ships in the future!

Author’s bio

Natacha Guyot is a French researcher, author, and public speaker. She holds two Master’s degrees: Film and Media Studies (Paris III Sorbonne Nouvelle) and Digital Culture and Technology (King’s College London).

Her main fields of interest are Science fiction, Gender Studies, Children Media and Fan Studies. Besides her nonfiction work, she also writes Science Fiction and Fantasy stories.

Feel free to connect with author Natacha Guyot at Natacha’s BlogTwitterFacebook | Goodreads | LinkedIn

Talyn's Heroic Journey in Farscape by Natacha Guyot

Talyn’s Heroic Journey in Farscape Book Cover

Blurb from Talyn’s Heroic Journey in Farscape

Created in 1999 by Rockne S. O’Bannon, the Science Fiction television series Farscape focuses on the eclectic crew of a living ship called Moya. One of the supporting characters, Talyn, is Moya’s hybrid offspring, is born at the end of the first season and also experiences his own heroic journey.

Since the show belongs to the Science Fiction genre, it is interesting to study how a non-human character that isn’t even humanoid might become a hero. While cyborg and alien heroes have existed in Science Fiction narratives of many kinds, it remains rather rare that a space ship, even alive and sentient, is given significant character development.

Three elements are of particular significance in the analysis of hybrid’s heroic journey: Talyn’s origins and likeness to a Chosen One character type, his two mentor figures – Aeryn Sun and Bialar Crais, and the darker times Talyn faces before finding redemption upon his death.

Pick up your copy of Talyn’s Heroic Journey in Farscape now and support Natacha!

Goodreads | Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada | Amazon Australia

ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ

~Thank you for taking the time to visit, Natacha! I have my copy Talyn’s Heroic Journey in Farscape and will review it soon. Have you read any great science fiction stories lately?

62 thoughts on “My Love of Spaceships: Guest Post by Author Natacha Guyot

1. Ka Malana@Fiestaestrellas.com

Hi Christy! I haven’t read any works of fiction recently, but I have been digging a bit into the ancient past, and reading quite a bit. There’s always room in my mind for space and by derivative, science fiction! I truly enjoy this introduction, and also love the idea for a space ship with a developed character! Nice work, Love Ka

I enjoyed the reading, and it was great to read about those Leviathans here, as the Bible mentions a creature called that way… A monster of the Sea, probably similar to a snake or whale.🐍🐋…. Hence, based on that, Thomas Hobbes picked it up as title for his book (“Leviathan”)… Well, I just thought of that… And having said so, I’d like to add that spaceships are certainly fascinating, and perfect match for SciFi… Very nice feature … Best wishes. Aquileana 😊

Liked by 2 people

3. inesephoto

I love science fiction! I haven’t read anything new for years, but love to re-read my old favorites. Best of luck to Natacha – it is a great genre that requires knowledge, research and lots of time-traveling to the future:)

1. Natacha Guyot

Some old favorites are just too good and we have to re-read them, don’t we? One that inspired me to become a writer is Serpent’s Reach by C.J. Cherryh. It’s not one of her most famous books but I love it. Thank you for the well wishes!

1. Natacha Guyot

You are welcome! C.J. Cherryh wrote many famous books but this one was one of her earliest if I recall correctly. And yet, I can very much say it’s one of my first inspirations to become a writer. 🙂

1. Natacha Guyot

Farscape is one of my favorite shows! I also have a chapter that ties Farscape to Babylon 5 in one of my upcoming books about women in Science Fiction. I hope you enjoy the essay about Talyn when you get to read it! 🙂

1. Natacha Guyot

Space shows are amazing! All these three shows are on my insane to-watch list, but I’ve been trying to catch up with shows I’m already watching before tackling new ones (still need to finish Falling Skies, current seasons of Orphan Black, The 100 and Once Upon a Time and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few)

2. Green Embers

I still need to finish Fallen Skies too. I forgot about it honestly. Orphan Black the current season, waiting for that one to go streaming. I couldn’t get into 100 and Once Upon a Time, I want the series to be over so I can binge without having to wait between seasons.

3. Natacha Guyot

I still need to watch seasons 4 and 5 of Falling Skies. Orphan Black, same thing, waiting for the whole season to be done to watch. Once Upon a Time I almost gave up on it at some point but kept going and liking the show more again. The 100 has become a favorite, though I want to strangle the writers on many accounts this season. The story is still good but they have massacred their character development which is a real shame.

4. Green Embers

You’re not the first person I’ve read that said that about this season of The 100. I frequent a message board that likes to discuss TV shows. The Flash kind of did that too with this latest season, really made the main character absolutely stupid.

5. Natacha Guyot

I don’t watch the Flash (or Arrow) but I hate it when characters are sabotaged. I can put up with story arcs I don’t really care for if the characters still remain engaging but when you turn character development to shreds for no reason, I don’t like that.

4. MindandLifeMatters

Science Fiction is one of my favorite genres to read. I am slowly exploring the possibilities of writing in this genre too. I would love to know what kind of scientific research I can start off with for a story about intergalactic travel?

1. Natacha Guyot

I admit I rarely read scientific research books when it comes to my science fiction storytelling, though I used to read a lot about astronomy when growing up. I think it depends on whether you write hard science fiction or not too. I err more towards space opera and related sub genres. Nevertheless, you may be interested in reading some books by Arthur C. Clarke and Carl Sagan for the topic that interests you. 🙂

1. MindandLifeMatters

One of the aspects that I was worried about when I wanted to start writing in this genre was about how much of hard scientific facts should be included. Of course the basis of how or why something will work or will not work should be included, but do we dig deep or not, has been a concern.
        Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into these books. 🙂

1. Natacha Guyot

Common sense is very important but when it comes to hard scientific facts, I wouldn’t say you need tons of knowledge. Of course, if you feel that you need to do research, by all means, do it, regardless of genre. I tend to gravitate more towards factual research when I write Fantasy/Supernatural set on actual Earth. Spending time on your world building for a story can also help you figure out which areas you’d like to read/watch more about (I think that movies/TV shows/Video games can be as inspiring and helpful as other books). I hope that it helps. 🙂

5. Clanmother

A wonderful post and a most excellent discussion. Science fiction is our DNA for it allows us the possibilities of what will become realities. Whatever happened in Star Trek, the ordinal series, has come to pass. My favorite quote about Science Fiction (and those who know me, know that I am a quote-hoarder) is by Ray Bradbury “Science fiction is the most important literature in the history of the world, because it’s the history of ideas, the history of our civilization birthing itself …Science fiction is central to everything that we have ever done, and people who make fun of science fiction writers don’t know what they’re talking about.”

1. Natacha Guyot

Thank you very much! I love this Ray Bradbury quote! World building is one of my favorite things about being a writer. My characters and my universes don’t necessarily come to life together and it can be fascinating to observe characters choosing their universe, even when it’s not the one you had expected them to live in.

6. Carolyn Page

All the best to you Natacha, you seem to enjoy your career choice. As is written – you’ll never work a day in your life if you are doing what you love. Perhaps that’s not quite true for writers/authors. There is the need for discipline, hard work, and a mindset focused on your goal. You certainly appear to be doing that!
    Well done to you, Christy – A fine interview indeed… 🙂

1. Natacha Guyot

Thank you very much, Carolyn! I have always loved writing. I delved a lot more in nonfiction and academic writing because my my studies but eventually returned to fiction writing after a 10 year break. It feels so good to write stories again. 🙂

7. DG MARYOGA

Oh,Christy,you keep motivating us,you stimulate us to fly higher and higher.Great work by a remarkable author!What I like about science fiction is that in the future it might become just science … It’s also interesting to find out that the past is related to and connected with the present and the future.Best to you and to Natacha 🙂

1. Natacha Guyot

Thank you for your kind words! It is fascinating to see what becomes not fiction anymore in comparison to what happens in Science Fiction stories, regardless whether they are in closer future settings or vastly different ones. 🙂

8. Andrea Stephenson

Thanks for introducing Natacha, Christy. Natacha I also have a great fondness for the millennium falcon, my dad used to take me and a cousin to the cinema to see the Star Wars movies so they have great memories for me 🙂

9. Pingback: Natacha Guyot’s Books Blog Tour – Talyn’s Heroic Journey In Farscape – Natacha Guyot

10. Dee

Natacha is an interesting person. I enjoy science fiction as well and good to know someone out there is creatively challenged to bring us to a better view of it all.

11. Simon

I remember that very episode of the Muppet Show that you’re talking about. I had completely forgotten about pigs in space, but the Millennium Falcon takes some beating as a spaceship. Probably because it’s so unique.

12. Pingback: Science Fiction 101: What is Leviathan, Cyborg, and Humanoid? | Poetic Parfait

13. Pingback: Women Survivors of Bio-Terrorism: Dana Scully and Elizabeth Shaw | Poetic Parfait

14. Pingback: Science Fiction Writing: It’s Not Just a Man’s World | When Women Inspire