An Interview with Poet Christy Birmingham

When I was asked by writer Bill Holland to stop by his blog “Artistry with Words” for an interview, I accepted the invite with a smile. After all, it’s not every day that I get asked to be on such a quality blog. Here is the interview on writing techniques, poetry, and balancing work with personal life. Thanks for taking time to read it! ~Christy

Artistry With Words

003DOING ALL RIGHT WITH MY NEW GOAL

I told you I was going to try and post one blog per week and by golly, so far I’m doing it.  Coincidentally, I’m busier than I’ve ever been, but I’m determined to get this blog out once a week and, well, here I am again, invading your privacy and demanding attention, like that obnoxious little kid at school who wouldn’t leave you alone, him in 2nd grade, you in 5th, and all you want to do is play soccer with your friends, but the little kid keeps tugging on your pants, demanding you play with him….sheez…leave me alone, kid, you scream, but it does no good and here he is again….

I think we better move on to a quote so I can catch my breath….and after the quote, we have a new interview with one of my favorite…

View original post 1,484 more words

56 thoughts on “An Interview with Poet Christy Birmingham

1. Marc Philippe Babineau

interviewing yourself? a tad Pavlovian, no? tehe… I had a bunch of posts with lots of views – tried to cashout – nope, they only pay US citizens! Gah! The fine print! Who ever reads those long, boring license agreements? (good idea for a post?) luv ya, sweetie…

1. Christy B Post author

Haha Marc, if you read the post then you will see it is a reblog from Bill Holland’s site, where he kindly interviewed me. I was grateful for the interview and shared it here for anyone interested in the read. As for payouts, I get them so you should too.. maybe contact WP to sort out the issue as you can get paid for the WP ad revenue if you live in Canada (as I do). Hope that helps! Thanks for the support!

2. Maria F.

Amazing interview, and I understand when you say that anyone can write a book. What surprised me was the amount of ebooks out there also. I’ve spent 4 years documenting plants, and recently found out about someone who already has published a whole ebook on them (here in P.R. with photos and all). I know an ebook is not the same as a hard copy, however.

1. Christy B Post author

Hi Maria, great to see you! I enjoy your posts on plants so I hope you continue to do so! There will never be writing exactly like yours so never think you are taking away from the other person who published the eBook. Keep writing!

3. Clanmother

Your love of words comes through in every one of your profoundly moving poems. Thank you for creating a place where words, conversations and friendships blend into a compassionate community.

This is such a beautiful interview… it is interesting that highlights the technical aspect and what is related to the discipline (when you mention how you schedule your time) … because writing is just not a random creative thing as I see it…
    Let´s take Poetry… You and I have been discussing form and meter in Poetics… Poets have the ideas, but poetry is about choosing the “best” words which get along with that idea… So… a poem is always more than verses… there are preliminary and final works of sorts behind each poem, I guess.
    Such charming words from Bill Holland to you too, honey … ❤ Very nice. Love & best wishes. Aquileana 🙂

5. Ka Malana - Fiestaestrellas.com

Hi Christy,

Your passion for words, and your patience and love for nurturing them, is really inspiring!! Thanks for these words about your process. Lovely interview ❤ Happy day to you, and until we meet again online 🙂 These days are very busy for me, but I do try to come around as often as I can –

Salve for the soul
    are considered words
    such are yours!

Peace dear,
    Love, Ka

6. Debbie

Great interview, Christy! And I love your advice about treating writing as a business, with a schedule for work and play. And don’t you find that taking a walk outside is helpful for working through sticky plot lines?!

7. milliethom

A great interview, Christy. I’m impressed by the way you discipline yourself to your daily writing, breaking it with the necessary refreshment and exercise gaps. I agree that both are necessary to keep the brain alert and the creative juices flowing!

8. Sarah Potter Writes

A great interview, Christy, and so wise your advice about maintaining a balance in life. Recently, I’ve imposed a new rule on myself (me, of the square eyes!), which is to turn off my PC, mobile phone, and tablet at 5 pm every day. And the ban is total all day on Sunday, if at all possible, although sometimes I weaken.

9. Wendy L. Macdonald

Christy, what an excellent interview with you by Billy. I agree about our need to treat writing as a business. And I also like your advice about taking breaks. I get tired of sitting, so I eat my snacks while standing in the kitchen or while I’m out in my garden. 🙂 My muse loves it when I hang out with nature too.
    Blessings & have a lovely Thanksgiving Weekend ~ Wendy