Poetry about the Home

Writing a Poem about the Home

It’s been a while since I published a poem here. I figured, well, it’s about time I get down to it. This one seems appropriate to publish on a cold fall day when I am grateful for my warm home. I had the gas fireplace going earlier today and cuddled under a blanket on the couch with a cup of tea. Here is another concept of home, in poetic form.

A Long Sigh and a Smile

She walks through the room, past the couch, to the corduroy chair, and

Lowers her thin body onto his. Her head navigates his torso and

Stops when it finds comfort, two inches below his left shoulder.

A layer of black cotton separates her right cheek from his skin.

It is only the fabric that has faded with time.

“I want more of this,” she whispers and feels his body shake as

His head moves up, then down, then up again. The fast movement ends and

Her long sigh begins, with a smile following closely behind it.

The discerning look she wore earlier in the day, at her oak desk,

Is softer now, like the cloth her cheek clings to in this moment.

She wants to hold onto an unchanging now.

No more words are spoken aloud, on this couch, in this hour,

On this night,

As images of home stick to her thoughts like toffee.

©2016 Christy Birmingham

As Henry W. Longfellow once wrote, “Stay, stay at home, my heart and rest; Home-keeping hearts are the happiest.” Are you enjoying time at home today?

129 thoughts on “Writing a Poem about the Home

1. Cynthia

No place like home – where love, and the heart remain – during all of life’s storms. Lovely poem, sweet friend! Thank you for the comments over at HP, too. I am so grateful for your wonderful words, imagery, and big heart! Sending you hugs!

Liked by 5 people

1. Christy B Post author

Oh Cyndi, sweet Cyndi! Love how we support one another ❤ Thanks for stopping by and for the nice words. I'm glad you understand the poem's message about the heart being in the home xx

1. damaomao007

I am currently focusing on translating ancient Chinese poems into English(not direct translation, but with context/historical stories, etc, as I am rooted in China…:)) so love to share ideas on poetry and thank you for visiting!!

The second stanza is a little bit “uhhhh”… (?)
    But: “She wants to hold onto an unchanging now”… That verse is SO beautiful…
    Love the counterpoints as well… Sending love & best wishes.

Liked by 6 people

1. Christy B Post author

Great you enjoyed the poem, Aqui, especially now that we’ve sorted out what it is NOT about, lol! Did you notice the inclusion of different soft fabrics as a way to add to the coziness of the feeling of home? Sending love your way too xxoo

1. Marissa Bergen

Yes, Halloween tends to be hot more often than not. Usually around September we start seeing some cool days, and we have had some but then the heat comes back like “I’m not done yet!” It usually stays hot until November but then we have an unusually cool spring that can last until the middle of July.

Liked by 2 people

1. Christy B Post author

Wow, you get warm weather until November? That’s wonderful. I brought out my winter coats. It’s a cozy feeling but I also really like not having to reach for a coat!

3. Clanmother

We long for “home” and find it in places where we never expected it to be – for the feeling comes unexpectedly, without fanfare. When we are surrounded by love, hope and compassion, we are home. Indeed, we find home in the presence of those we love, in the memory of those who we hold dear. Your words are a gentle reminder to cherish each other and create homes wherever we are.

Liked by 3 people

4. Annika Perry

Lovely poem about home and I can feel her deep tranquility and contentment. Yep, I love my home – even more so after spending a few weeks helping a friend house-hunting. Every time I come home I can empathise with : ‘Her long sigh begins, with a smile following closely behind it’.

Liked by 3 people

5. Carol Balawyder

Christy, your poem captures the essence of the coziness of your reality when you wrote it (fgaz fireplace, cup of tea). I particularly loved these last lines:
    No more words are spoken aloud, on this couch, in this hour, On this night,As images of home stick to her thoughts like toffee.

Comparing home sticking to her like toffee is such a perfect, warm simile.

Liked by 2 people

1. Christy B Post author

Oh Carol, dear Carol, thank you for appreciating the depth of the lines, including the toffee metaphor. It means a lot to me that you took time to understand the use of my words and find smiles in it xx

Liked by 2 people

6. Sheila

I love this, especially the line, “She wants to hold onto an unchanging now.” I love the thought of thoughts sticking like toffee too. Now I’m looking forward to finding this kind of coziness this weekend!

Liked by 2 people

7. edenszy

I love poetry; there’s something very peaceful about it. I think you manage the difficult job of creating a sense of warmth through a specific focus on the female’s emotions in this. Really lovely.

Liked by 2 people

8. prinxy

Home is a place of comfort, Love, Joy… When it’s cold the Joy, makes it warm, when it’s warm the Peace makes it cold… Love @ Home have no Limit… No Place like Home ..