Short story about a snow outing

One Leg at a Time: A Christmas Story

We recently had snow in Victoria, BC and it inspired this short story. I hope you all are having a nice December and, just think, it’s almost Christmas time!

One Leg at a Time

“Here are your pants and coat,” mom said, handing them both to me. I was eight now, and there would be none of this put on my clothes for me nonsense. It was a one leg at time routine, sure and steady, pulling up the waterproof red pants over my fleece leggings.

Now in the warm outfit, I slowly made my way to the front door as my bulky legs wouldn’t let me go at the quick pace I wanted. Mom had to help this time with putting on my boots as bending over would have thrown off my balance and sent me headfirst into the wooden shoe rack.

First, she put the plastic bags that once held loaves of bread over each socked foot, one at a time. No snow was going to dampen my feet if we could help it. Then I dove my wrapped feet into each boot held in place on the ground by my mom’s solid grip. No need to ask how I knew that grip was such a good one.

A tight tug on the scarf around my neck and hood up, with the itchy sweater already becoming a layer I wanted to disrobe, there was no turning back now. Mom opened the door, and there stood dad, already somehow appearing outside, with his massive black gloves on and the blue slightly-battered plastic sled at his side.

Short Story about Snow Fun

Snow Adventures, Straight Ahead. Photo via Pixabay, CC0 Public Domain.

“Quick you’re letting the cold out,” mom said, and I eagerly took dad’s hand with my mitted one. It disappeared within his grasp, and I tried to hurry after him in this massive outfit that forced my legs so much further apart than usual.

The cold breeze hit my face, and I stopped to look up at the snowflakes coming down from somewhere so much higher than where we were. I wasn’t sure where they came from, but they were magic, I was sure of it. I opened my mouth and caught a flake on my tongue.

“Come on, everyone will be there already,” dad said, tugging me forward. To the hill, we went, with the sled in tow. There was more magic to come, and I just hoped I could see some of it through the wet smeared lenses of my glasses. One leg at a time, I knew I could get there.

© 2016 Christy Birmingham

PS I’m honored to have reached Special Agent status at Precinct1313 😉 Thank you again for the award and kind words, ArcaneHalloween. If you are not already following that blog, please check it out.

164 thoughts on “One Leg at a Time: A Christmas Story

So beautifully penned, CB…
    I liked these lines in particular, and very much:
    “The cold breeze hit my face, and I stopped to look up at the snowflakes coming down from somewhere so much higher than where we were. I wasn’t sure where they came from, but they were magic”…
    It seems a new world opens as the front door does, the territories become vast. Familiar and warm elements turn into cold and unknown things. It certainly looks like a Winter discovery story (a rare snow fall in Victoria, maybe years ago?)… 😉
    Sending much love!.

Liked by 7 people

1. Christy B Post author

Thanks, Aqui 🙂 I love that you pointed out that particular part of the story as I felt that was the “heart” of the post.. It melted my heart to see that you realized it too!! I’ll think of you as I look out on the snow xx Love you too!

Liked by 2 people

1. Christy B Post author

Hmmm let’s see… looking around the room… I’m just waiting for a few things to arrive that I’ve ordered and then I’m all set. Now about the wrapping of the presents.. care to help?! How about you, are you all set for Xmas?

Liked by 2 people

2. rollyachabotbooks

Hi Christy… I could not help but laugh at the mention of used bread bags… that was the old standard as children. I will add to that and mention the mitts with the string that ran from one mitt to other up the sleeve, over the back and down to the other. Standard issue for me as I was always losing mine…. Awesome read … hugs as always

3. Billybuc

On the street we lived, there was a decent-sized hill, and when it snowed our parents would block off the street with traffic barricades, and line the hill with lanterns, and us kids would sled that hill for hours while the parents stood on the road, cheering us on, drinking hot chocolate….great memories. Thanks for sharing your story. Hugs from snowy Olympia.

1. Christy B Post author

I can almost see you as a kid now, with the sled and caught up in the fun of going down the hill 🙂 The hard part was always walking back up to the top with the sled, hehe. Thank you, Bill. We had a bit more snow this morning. If you have the same your way please drive safe ~ ((hugs))

4. Elouise

I loved hearing your memories! I remember well using plastic bags as make-do covers for flimsy shoes. I also remember my first snow adventure diasappointment–The beautiful mittens Mom made for me got all wet and cold and itchy, with bits of fuzz sticking to my hands. I could hardly wait to take them off! 🙂
    Elouise

5. ArcaneHalloween

Hey there Special Agent Christy 🙂 Thanks so much for the shout out to Precinct1313, it’s much appreciated my friend. And I love Winter, and snow, though we tend not to get a great deal of it in the south western part of the UK where I live… just lots and lots of rain! (luckily I also love the rain, so it’s all good 😉

1. Christy B Post author

I’m so glad you saw the shout out ~ and you deserve the mention for being a great blogging friend who teaches me about the comic book world 🙂 Ohhh rain can sound so nice on the skylight and also it’s fun to jump in puddles (with boots on, that is)! 😉

6. Clanmother

One leg at a time…the best advice for embracing all challenges that come our way. By the way, we are in a hugs snowstorm in Vancouver. Storm warning in effect. I have a feeling your are experience the same thing. The snowflakes are hugs!!! Love it!

1. Christy B Post author

Aww, “huge hugs” can now be our phrase – it makes perfect sense! It is snowing here, very lightly, but still.. it’s snow again! Please drive safe if it is snowing where you are 🙂

7. reocochran

I loved this and believe it or not, Christy, I did this bread bag routine for years with my children who are now 36, 35 and 31. ❤ There wasn't always a Daddy but there was me, sometimes when they were little, pulling up the sleds and saucers with their ropes back up the snowy hills. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Christy B Post author

Aha, your children are around the same age as me – so you were all putting our feet into bags before the boots 🙂 It really worked at keeping our feet dry! I’m so happy knowing you had similar memories with your kids ❤

1. Christy B Post author

It warms my heart to see your comment and I hope you get to enjoy sledding on a vacation soon! I can see you with a big smile going down a hill and I would be cheering you on the whole way ❤

8. Resa

Lol! It’s a great memory, Christy. Having grown up in Winnipeg, I know all about those snow pants. Hahaha…. I peed in mine once. I told my aunt I fell in a puddle. 😀 😀 She didn’t buy it, but that’s another story. 😀 😀

9. Sageleaf

Snow IS magical. It’s an awesome time of year (if we’re in the northern hemisphere, lol). At least that’s what I’m telling myself because it’s so cold. But with the cold comes the magical snow for snowangels and sledding and skiing and hot chocolate and marshmallows and cider and pumpkin pie and family and gatherings and glad tidings. 🙂 Sending you hugs, sweet friend!

Liked by 2 people

1. Christy B Post author

It’s magic all around us, and you point out many of the wonderful things here, from hot chocolate and marshmallows to snow angels 🙂 Thanks for your friendship too, which radiates so warmly on this cold day xx

10. Poet Rummager

Wintry enchantment! A loving story told from the viewpoint of a child. Winter brings out the child in us all when snow was magical and fathers were our protectors. Beautiful, Christy, ❤

11. Annika Perry

Christy, a beautiful tender story capturing childhood and the magic of snow. I could feel the little girl’s impatience with all the layers and remember that mummified feeling and barely able to move! Also as I had to wear glasses since young the trouble with moisture on the lenses is spot on. I just hope the girl had such a special time on the slopes as she is hoping for…just fears things are not quite what they seem…

1. Christy B Post author

Annika, I laughed when you wrote the word “mummified” in your comment – so true! Oh and you could identify with the glasses issue too.. sigh, we just wanted to play and the lenses kept getting wet and also foggy! Ohh your last part of your comment has me thinking about the future of the story.. if I were to do a part 2.. I hadn’t planned to do more on the story but maybe.. Regardless, sending you hugs 🙂

12. Ste J

Wonderful, you have put me right in the mood for Christmas now. I have so far managed to avoid it by means of sleeping days but it is nice to bask in the wintery glow.

1. Ste J

After a week and a half of slowly adjusting the sleep pattern I can be awake for half eight but still with that lethargic feeling, I think it is a bit like jet lag, I will get past it soon and be fine again. I always appreciate your words my friend.

1. Christy B Post author

Oh yes, I think it takes a while for the body to adjust, and also you’re waking up in a new place so that takes time to get used to as well. I got 8 hours of sleep last night and am quite proud of that accomplishment!

2. Ste J

That’ll be your bed loving you back. I am excited for your future poetry book that features poems only about your love affair with your bed.

1. Christy B Post author

Ohhh you stopped by here too~ you are such a sweetheart! If you do get snow you’ll have to blog about it. If not, maybe you’ll go on a trip and enjoy snow there 🙂

1. Carolee Croft

It’s my pleasure, I always enjoy a good feminist talk — and I need it to buoy my spirits after the way Gilmore Girls ended 😦 — as well as your poetry and prose, which are always inspiring.

There may be a trip to London in store for me, so even if I don’t see any snow, I can’t complain. 😉

1. Christy B Post author

Oh how exciting about a possible trip to London! I was just saying on another blog this morning that there look to be wonderful museums there. As for Gilmore Girls, how disappointing about the revival… Poor Lorelai and Rory should have stayed put and not attempted a comeback!

13. Pingback: One Leg at a Time: A Christmas Story | By the Mighty Mumford

14. michnavs

Happy holidays Christy…i live in a tropical country so obviously we dont experience winter here…for that i alwasy love reading winter tales like this one..thanks for this..i will add it up to my “winter wonderland ideas” bucket..

15. theburningheart

Beautiful memories of childhood, Christy, and congratulations for your Special Agent recognition, I wholly agree to: Christy is a wordsmith of the highest order, and one of the most amiable and personable people I have met online since I first started blogging with WordPress. 🙂

1. Christy B Post author

Ohhh now I feel my cheeks turning red.. what a nice compliment and thank you for it 🙂 I also appreciate your taking time here to read the story (of a secret agent!), given as you say our time is limited especially at this time of year. I’m glad we make time for one another’s blogging shares and to discuss literature. Have a wonderful rest of your day 🙂

16. Kirt D Tisdale

You brought back so many childhood memories for me growing up in a cold climate! I know Seattle doesn’t get that much snow throughout winter….does Victoria??Just curious. Have a Wonderful and blessed Christmas and a very Happy New Year!!

17. Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

Really heartwarming story, Christy. I recall those “legs far apart” snow suits with mixed emotions, but I had totally forgotten about the plastic bags between sock and boot! My Mom did that as well. I wonder now if I need to do that as adult, once our late snows descend and stick.

Congrats on your most recent award, too! — Special Agent status – Woo hoo!!! (I jumped over to take a look and give it a few likes)

xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMore dot com)
    – ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder –
    “It takes a village to transform a world!”

18. inesephoto

Lovely story, Christy. Snow adds a special touch to one’s childhood. It helps a child to grow their character 🙂 I remember plastic bags and shredded newspapers that help keep feet warm 🙂

19. Phil Ryan

A lovely piece, Christy bringing back some interesting childhood memories. Head first into the shoe rack being one of them. Oooh!! Happy days though 🙂 🙂