Infusing Creativity into Your Life in 2017 (Guest Post)

Today’s guest post is from the talented writer Cynthia Sageleaf of Intuitive and Spiritual. Welcome to the site, Cynthia! When she approached me about providing a guest post full of helpful insights on creative exploration for the new year upon us, as well as offering a poem, I was stoked! Still am 😉 Take it away, Cynthia:

✿✿✿ ✿✿✿ ✿✿✿

cynthia-sageleaf-in-nature

Meet Cynthia Sageleaf. She’s out in nature and having a blast!

Tapping Into Your Creative Potential

The poem below reflects what goes on in my head during those early morning hours – that time before the world wakes up and I need to get moving for the day. I have now learned to cherish those moments, to center myself and to remember to strive for balance, if imperfectly.

I am a creative soul, but I’m always looking for ideas. This poem will shed some light on my morning routine and tapping into the Inner Knowing that unlocks creative potential.

The Wee Hours

Wake up early, groggy and still in the land of

Subconscious.

I take a breath and feel around in the ambient darkness for fuzzy slippers and soft overcoats…

I amble to that cushion where I will sit, cross-legged in the silent stillness of early morn. To find the balance. To find the Fountain of All Things.

I call upon my breath: cooler air when I inhale, and warmer air on the exhale.

Thirty times sixty seconds, the moments scroll by behind closed eyelids.

Flashes of color and drifting thoughts splatter against the screen…and slowly drip away, leaving the expanse of the Rest of the Universe.

But even when those thoughts stick like egg-based tempera…

The Aware Me gently prods the Unaware to move back to the breath, gently urging extraneous thoughts to drip away…like dripping blobs on painted wood that eventually congeal in the dry air.

A soft wind waves over the top of my lip – a breath…respiration from The Great Within.

Like a magnifying glass focusing the light, so I focus ideas to the now – and the in and out rhythm of breathing.

A Tibetan bell tolls. I unfold my legs to beckon my journal –

So inspired because I am never judged while I spray musings in paint blotches that equal words upon that bright, two-dimensional space.

In those moments of madrugada, the darkness illuminates my creative muscle.

Father Sun and Mother Sky whisper their intentions of a new day into my ear, to summon me to continue on my journey of discovery – in prosaic words, contrasting art and snapped photos that flow through my mind and my through my hands to make a difference…O to make the world a blissful place!

So that others may see, and that others may read. Though the vibrance of the literary word, I aspire to see that their day is changed, infused with a spark to live a life in vivid color, balanced on the gigantic life-canvas in perfectly imperfect lines, shapes, spaces, colors, values and textures.

Sometimes just black and white will do as a timeless snapshot of yesteryear’s future.

I acknowledge the focused mind to enhance my imagination…that mindfulness that washes over my brain to conjure a genesis of vivid memories and juxtapositions, never before seen…or thought…never before known.

What’s that I ask?

It’s a spark.

That spark will grow into an amber fire.

And that warm glow galvanizes my creative muscle to burst forth an idea…that, rising to a feverish degree, a novel appears or a unique work of art.

So it is with the creative process. So it is with moments of mindfulness.

The accompanying image is that of a mandala. I started out drawing it, with the idea of “balance” in my head. From there I colored in the image, all in the stillness of being mindful.

It is a reminder to cultivate creativity and mindfulness. A reminder that we can strive for perfectly imperfect balance.

–Cynthia Sageleaf

mandala-artwork-by-cynthia-sageleaf

Beautiful Mandala Artwork by Cynthia Sageleaf.

Finding Creativity

We often want more creativity in our lives. We also want to feel more relaxed and less stressed.

Did you know that you can structure those hours before beginning your work day as a way to boost your creativity and set the tone for a calmer day?

I have found that the idea of being mindful and using that early morning time to write down ideas is the best and most creative part of my day.

How do I do it?

I take some time to be mindful.

I take some time to do some journaling and go over my daily goals.

Then I work on a creative project.

Then I do a little exercise like yoga or tai chi.

This morning routine then sets the tone for the day. I am in a creative mindset, I’m calm and I know what I want to accomplish.

I used to wake up an hour before work, get ready and leave. I never felt that relaxed and more often than not, I was stressed and rushed.

Taking those two elements, I crafted the poem above that uses poetic prose to hopefully provide insights on a beautiful lifelong journey of mindfulness and creativity.

These two things, for me, have led to a life full of abundance, compassion, and less stress.

✿✿✿ ✿✿✿ ✿✿✿

About Cynthia Sageleaf

Cynthia resides in Western North Carolina where she greets each day with gratitude and mindfulness. She spends time each day immersed in a creative project or imagining fantastical ideal worlds with the written word. She’s an idealist, but the desire to make the world a more beautiful and loving place fuels her passion to share her gifts with the world.

You can find more of her writings and creativity at Intuitive and Spiritual.

Many thanks to Christy for allowing her to guest-post and thanks to her readers for visiting!

✿✿✿ ✿✿✿ ✿✿✿

Feel free to join me in thanking Cynthia Sageleaf for being here today! She welcomes any questions in the comments section below and also feel free to check out her platform Intuitive and Spiritual. ~ Christy

80 thoughts on “Infusing Creativity into Your Life in 2017 (Guest Post)

1. Sageleaf

Voulaah – nice to meet you, too! Thank you so much for your comment and kind words. I hope you have a wonderful Friday and weekend. Many hugs and happy tidings! 🙂

1. Sageleaf

D. Wallace Peach – thank you! I am a huge advocate for waking up a few hours before needing to leave for work or some other place – it sets a wonderful tone for the rest of the day for sure. Thank you for your kinds words and lovely to meet you. Have a wonderful day! 🙂

1. Pingback: The Weekly Headlines – My Daily Musing

2. milliethom

Thank you, Christy for posting this insightful piece from Cynthia. Thank you, Cynthia, for sharing your morning routine and thought processes. Mindfulness / balance and creativity certainly go hand in hand. A Lovely, thought-provoking poem.

Liked by 2 people

1. Sageleaf

Milliethom – oh thank you! What a sweet comment! Yes mindfulness and balance are two ingredients for a creative life – at least I think so . 🙂 I appreciate your insights and have a wonderful day!

3. theburningheart

Beautiful Cynthia, I also have a morning ritual, like to dress and go out before the first ray of the Sun hits the horizon, and breathe the morning fresh air vibrant with life, absorb it’s energy, and make it mine, hear the sound of my steps, as they hit the gravel, and sand, and if lucky see the first ray of sunlight hit my eyes, and observe the colors flaming, and explode around me.
    Love your writing, greetings! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Sageleaf

theburningheart – oh, I LOVE this! I love the idea of getting out into the fresh, crisp air and listening to the sounds and bringing my awareness to what’s around me. What a beautiful, beautiful way to start the day! You’ve also given me a gentle reminder to get outside more before the world really wakes up and the sun greets the world – it’s a special time of the day when peace really can prevail. Thank you for your wonderful, warm comment. Sending hugs!

Liked by 2 people

1. theburningheart

It’s just my almost daily ritual, but confess it’s not always possible, but it brings a special frame of mind, and a natural high that attune me, for the day ahead, and help me to deal with life, not only with equanimity, but with joy, and bliss.
        Blessings to you. 🙂

Liked by 3 people

1. Sageleaf

Sue – it’s so wonderful to see you over here. So glad you’re acquainted with Christy. Two of my favorite Indigo souls coming together in harmony! I, too, am Happy Happy HAPPY! 🙂 Sending you hugs and looking forward to your next post. 😉

Liked by 2 people

4. roughwighting

I totally relate to this lovely and inspiring post. About 5 years ago I also discovered that waking up an hour early and meditating and stretching into yoga positions increased my creativity 100 fold. That’s my favorite time of day. Thanks for sharing this Christy. And nice to meet you Cynthia.

Liked by 2 people

1. Sageleaf

Roughwighing – YES!! This is exactly what I’m talking about. I love that you have experienced this. It’s so helpful, wonderful and so awesome to experience such peace and bliss in the mornings. 🙂 Nice to meet you, too!

5. Sheila

I’ll have to give this a try instead of rushing off to work (and then feeling exhausted by the time I get home). I love the thought of striving for a perfectly imperfect balance. Usually I only feel that way when I’m outside, soaking up as much nature as possible. Thank you Christy and nice to meet you Cynthia!

Liked by 2 people

1. Sageleaf

Sheila – so nice to meet you, too! I’m really glad for your comment. Things changed when I stopped waking up just in time to go to work. And I’m perfectly imperfect at it. 🙂 I hope you have a wonderful week!

6. Sarah Potter Writes

How did I miss this post? Cynthia, I’m so glad to find you guesting over at Christy’s wonderful blog. Just reading your words made me feel so calm. I would love it if people gave me the time and space to be mindful at the beginning of the day. Tai Chi is part of my routine, but even that tends to be squeezed into a 10-minute slot, which isn’t enough. I keep hearing from various of my blogging friends about the amazing benefits of mindfulness. You know how sometimes a word starts to crop up and just keeps cropping up, as if it’s trying to tell you something…okay, I’m hearing this mindfulness word loud and clear, or maybe I should say quiet and clear 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Sageleaf

Sarah – oh, I love your comment! I aim to calm. Hehe. You know, I’m signing up for a tai chi class. I have been wanting to as part of my own mindfulness, but ironically, a series I’ve been watching REALLY got me wanting to: The Man in the High Castle. One of the main characters practices tai chi and it saves her life. I’m like, hmm, that’s so neat!
      And I love how you relate your experience about a word just cropping up – in your case, mindfulness. But…I had one crop up this morning and I’m now wondering if I could turn it into some sort of novel….just pondering at this point, though. 🙂

1. Sarah Potter Writes

That one word might be the mustard seed that grows into a giant tree! My 5th novel (not yet published) started out as a 400-word piece of flash fiction. All big things, start out small. If your “word” is meant to grow into something big, it will let you know, maybe tomorrow, or maybe a year from now 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Sageleaf

Sarah – oh my goodness – speaking of “word.” Okay, bear with me for a sec ‘cuz this is gonna sound weird: but I *swear* I get more ideas in the bathroom. Well, a “phrase” came into mind when I was in the bathroom the other day – yes, a bit longer than a word, lol. BUT…I kept thinking, “Lunch with Buddha.” Ohmigosh. I’m going to be documenting an “intention project” I want to do but…I think I need to incorporate a novel into this project. I traditionally outline my novels and know exactly where I want to go, but…out of the six I’ve written, I’ve only published one. So…maybe I won’t “think about” this idea too much and just run with it, by doing my own little version of Nanowrimo next month. Haha.
          Words…phrases…they can have such power over us, no?

Liked by 2 people

2. Sarah Potter Writes

The number of ideas I get while brushing my teeth and going through my facial cleansing routine, is nobody’s business! I don’t know what it is about the bathroom, but I swear that being in there cleans my mind of debris as part of the general cleansing routine, so that creative thoughts have space to free-range.

7. Kev

Nice to meet you, Cynthia. I do love the use of language in your poem: ‘In those moments of madrugada, the darkness illuminates my creative muscle.’ Love that! Enjoyed the insight into your creativity musings. Thanks for bringing Cynthia to us, Christy. 🙂

1. Sageleaf

Kev – nice to meet you, too! Thank you for that! It’s fun when you come up with a line (whether in regular writing or poetry) and you think, “YES! THAT!” hehe. I appreciate your wonderful insights, too!

8. ahavaha

This was such an insightful piece. And these words boldly stood out for me, “I acknowledge the focused mind to enhance my imagination…that mindfulness that washes over my brain to conjure a genesis of vivid memories and juxtapositions, never before seen…or thought…never before known”

Thank you to you Christy and Cynthia.

9. thatssojacob

Hey there, Christy! I found your blog today, and I’m nominating you for That’s So Jacob’s March Blog Madness! It’s simple: find five interesting blogs today, copy and paste this comment to theirs, and give them a follow! Have a great day and if you’re so inclined, kindly come visit me over at http://www.thatssojacob.wordpress.com. Have fun spreading the blog love this month!