Outside Of The Box

Is that an Incoming I hear?

So goes the tagline of the irresistible blog Incoming Bytes, created by my irresistible friend Raymond.

When Raymond asked to contribute another poem to Poetic Parfait, I embraced the opportunity. If you missed his last contribution, head over to my post Her Tears and Soul on Wings.

Today Raymond takes us outside of the box. He takes us to a world of tragic love.

A Collector of Outside Days

That he shall be;

For he walked in the outside, leaving forever his winds and ways;

Taking his collection, his mind of tarnished packages,

Strange and unopened;

For her love was with him, walking in the forest of dreams;

Forever knowing the unknowing,

The unrest, the tournaments of fact and  wisdom;

Never knowing the familiar, the restful,

The satisfying challenges of fools;

For her love was with him, walking in the forest of dreams;

The agony of love did come upon him

And it made his face wet with tears

The collector of outside days

Did love her

Forever.

(c) Raymond Alexander Kukkee 2012

Forest

Forest.

I love the way Raymond takes inanimate concepts like the man’s mind and explains them in terms of objects. Lines such as “his mind of tarnished packages” and “forest of dreams” are such unique descriptors.

The lines are not predictable in terms of the images held within the words or the length of the lines itself.

Do you feel for the man as we assume his love is unreturned by the woman? The clues that he is not loved in return are held in the lines “agony of love” and “his face wet with tears.”

The phrase “outside days” reminds me of situations when I have felt like an outsider. I wanted to fit in for my first day of Grade 5 but I realized when I showed up to the school that no other girl was wearing a hand-me-down plaid blouse.

What is your favourite part of the poem?

Why do you think Raymond chose to repeat the line “walking in the forest of dreams”?

Thank-you Raymond for lending us your poem today. This is christyb, I wish you all a forest full of smiles today.

32 thoughts on “Outside Of The Box

1. simon7banks

I like “the tournaments of fact and wisdom”: tournaments are impressive, sometimes beautiful, but stereotyped.

I suppose the line is repeated because it’s a completion and response to both sets of lines before – and because it’s a beautiful line. Forests, of course, imply beauty, diversity – and danger.

I see fact as being tormenting as it can not be altered, when love goes unrequited and one wants to change it but can not do so. There are so many ways to interpret, I like hearing your version here Simon.

2. Red

I got something different, Christy. His placement of the repetitions denotes her love was his anchor through the “strange and unopened” and became his norm when he did not have “the familiar, the restful”. To me, it seems she was a fixture in his life. His agony of love was losing her.

For me, the line “the tournaments of fact and wisdom” was the interesting one. The image of jousting facts (being those who spout rote learned tidbits) versus wisdom (garnered through experience) is drole.

Thank you both, Christy and Raymond.
    Red.

Hi Red, thanks for taking the time to comment and lend your own interpretation. I like the idea of the repetition symbolizing the stability of her to his life through its different phases. Are you saying fact and wisdom do not always align.. Now there is a piece of wisdom!

1. Red

There is a lot of wisdom which makes facts irrelevant. No matter how many statistics pile up, wisdom sidesteps them all, unscathed 😉 Not to mention, raw data is relatively useless. It needs context.
        Red.

When I watch the news I often think of other perspectives not shown. It is frustrating to watch sometimes. I worry that people watch tv so mindlessly and accept all the figures being thrown at them without taking time to think for themselves. Thanks Red for the good reminders.

3. lostupabove

Hello Christy

I’ve nominated you for the Beautiful blog award. Details here:http://wp.me/p1ZC80-KP
    Love
    Steph xx

PS: some links for complete La bohème videos. Sadly I haven’t found a complete one with English subtitles.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAS7r8Pd0k No subtitles La Scala 1979 (good cast but not such a good image and Pavarotti was the worst actor on the planet!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrCwl4SYVCM No subtitles Netrebko and Villazón a film from 2008 (very good)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1C4tzSM7XU Italian subtitles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB64f1dKcpI German subtitles Netrebko and Villazón a film from 2008 (very good)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBsVDnwfkE&feature=BFa&list=UUQ7MzYGviTA2TGbTIrwbrGA&lf=plcp Here you can watch the same film divided in 11 part no subtitles

A complete libretto with English translation can be found here: http://www.dennisalbert.com/Opera/labohemelibretto.htm

Hi Steph,
      Wow, thanks for the award! Your blog is beautiful too my friend. I left you a comment on your blog about the list, how great is this! My own personal links to La Boheme videos. I can’t wait to check them out, thanks again.

Lovely poem! What I got from this is that he feels she is out of his league, his “tarnished packages”, his love – what he has to offer the woman of his dreams, is flawed and unworthy. “the tournaments of fact and wisdom;” is his heart (loving her – fact) warring with his head (he’s not good enough for her – wisdom). “For her love was with him, walking in the forest of dreams” – knowing that he could never have her in reality, he still dreams that they are together; daydreaming of her while awake, and in his dreams while he sleeps. A romantic obsession, charmingly penned! Loved it. ~ Julie 🙂

Great analysis my friend. Seeing the forest as his daydream in which he is with her is such a neat way to look at the poem. Your description is great, I can just imagine it now! Thanks for coming by to read and comment. xx

I think we all of us walk within the Forest of our Dreams Christy.. each of us at times scramble through, the obsticles of life and its emotions as we walk amid the shadows .. And yet as we look up we can see the light shine forth through the canopy of leaves as the rays of Sunshine fall upon our hearts we bask in their rays as we embrace the moments of love we cherish… As our tears wash away the hurts of memories..
    Raymond has a wonderful soul and is an excellent writer..
    Thank you Christy for sharing one of his poems.. ~Sue

Thank-you Sue for appreciating the levels of the poem here. Raymond brings images that can be taken for surface value for as representations of struggles we endure. Although it may be hard to see the sunshine amidst the shadows, having faith that yes you will get through the hard time can help you climb through the forest. Take care my friend.

7. Raymond Alexander Kukkee

hi Christyb, my friend, thank you for the wonderful analysis and beautiful comments you have encouraged in discussion with your readers. Much appreciated, for they too, as you do, shall walk in my forest of dreams. I must apologize that I haven’t been on site here to interact more, Beautiful, kind comments from all are the essence of inspiration. Once again, thank you, Christyb!

Oh Raymond, of course you are welcome. There is never pressure to write comments and I understand days get busy. Visit when you are able my friend. I am so glad you have stopped by to see the great comments of support for your poem. You really do have poetic talent and I was glad to work with you again on my blog!