Poetry: A Girl’s Definition

Words have a power all their own

Words have a power all their own (Photo credit: Lynne Hand)

A Girl’s Definition

Once upon a time

There was a girl named me,

Who thought she was a woman but

Did not have the corner pieces

To the puzzle called her body.

The girl knew the word tomorrow

Yet never looked up the definition;

She actually thought the word was a

Synonym for detached

And acted accordingly. Alone.

She wore her feelings across her young face,

When they existed,

Until she ran out of the bedroom

And ran into her sense of self,

With a language all her own

To own herself today.

©2012 Christy Birmingham

46 thoughts on “Poetry: A Girl’s Definition

Oh, Christy! There is a depth in your poem that goes far beyond the words – you actually brought a tear to my eye, as this so resonates with me! That last stanza says it all. ((((Hugs)))) Sending you positive thoughts and much love, my friend! ~ Love, Julie xoxox

Thanks Julie. I added hope at the end as my journey is taking me into a more positive space, with moments when I look back at the missing pieces. Hugs to you and thank-you for sharing in your comment too xx

2. Cat Forsley

CB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so beautiful
    my favourite of yours so far !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have known you a short while ….
    this is so lovely . so intimate … so real and translucent xo
    CF

Thank-you Cat. It is such a personal experience sometimes with poetry and I am glad you saw through that… I feel like even though we have not known each other long, we have much in common. Take care CF, you Canadian gal you.

3. Indi

Wow Christy! I keep a memorable quote and passages book. This poem will definitely become part of my collection. Did not have the corner pieces…you nailed it with this one. Wonderful!

4. John Evans

Lovely work of poetic composition Christy! I am delighted I joined your blog Poetic Parfait’s mailing list. You are an excellent poetess. Keep smiling and remember to stay creative!!

5. lscotthoughts

Wonderful writing, Christy, and I am so glad your puzzle is put together now. You convey much strength in your last stanza to finally owning yourself~Hugs to you, my friend! xo

Thank-you Lauren. The journey has been slower than I would have liked but poetry has been a wonderful release. I think we both use the form to express ourselves. Hugs back to you as well!

6. rlloydmyers

Oh, Christy…that is so touching. I don’t know where you have this wonderful resource residing but I am thrilled and honored to be able to view the finished products of a person that speaks from the heart.Thank you, Christy…

Plato said that the body was the prison of the soul. ..Well, this sounds a little skeptical or rather stoic.

But, the truth is that not to be so extreme sometimes the body and soul (spirit) are decoupled. One, the body has a level of physiological maturity, while the soul takes another one.

An alienation type occurs when these two planes are not correlated roughly at the same time or just in can´t reach harmony. It might happen and I think this is the case.

I like the poem and loved how you mastered the game of time progressions, here.

I also loved how you walk along the paths “from tomorrow to today”, going through “loneliness” & Sorrow until finding (Your/Her) “Self” .

Thanks for sharing; XOXO, Christy/ Bunny;

Amalia/ Aquileana/Ticky 🙂

Amalia/Ticky!!
      Thanks for stopping by to read and comment. Time has interesting ways of passing, doesn’t it? Sometimes our bodies keep up and other times… You are a great reader! I hope you are well xo