Spam Poetry Challenge – Want to Participate?

Poem challenge

I hereby challenge you in a writing duel 😀 Photo Source: By Ildar Sagdejev (Specious), CC-BY-SA-3.0-2.5-2.0-1.0, via Wikimedia Commons

I was clearing out my Spam folder for comments here at WordPress and had an idea – imagine that?! I want to challenge you bloggers to a Spam Poetry Challenge.

Here are my rules to participate (it’s easy!):

• Take any four lines from comments in your Spam filter for your blog
  • Write a poem that includes at least part of each of the four lines in your poem (It doesn’t have to be the entire line)
  • Post your poem plus the four lines of Spam to your blog and link it back to this post.
  • Leave a comment at my post here to let us know the link to your poem so that we can read it!!

★☆★☆★☆

Here, I’ll start the challenge with my entry. This poem is titled “Hello Poet.”

Name the Poet

Hello Poet. Photo Source: By Eviatar Bach (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Four Spam comments –

“Wow, I finally found a site that actually knows what they’re talking about.”

“Hi there, I discovered your website via Google while looking for a related matter…”

“I think that what you posted was very logical.”

“Wonderful items from you, man. I’ve taken into account your stuff prior…”

Hello Poet

Hi there, you logical poet you,

You fellow maker of words that haunt, tease and

Echo the truths (and lies) that surround us.

Hi there, you creative entity you, who

Finally found a site that comes easily to my eyes

With lines between words and

Shapes between shadows.

Wonderful you,

You wear a label that changes and challenges my

Arms as they wrap around your words and

Take into account your wonderful spirit.

Intertwined with the alphabet,

Your words sing more than their meaning

And my heart’s melody calls for more of the related manner.

©2014 Christy Birmingham

Have fun with this poetry challenge dedicated to making something positive out of Spam comments!

83 thoughts on “Spam Poetry Challenge – Want to Participate?

1. Pingback: To Keep Your Writing Fresh, Take A Challenge Now And Then | Ghostwriting Plus

2. simon7banks

This is a good idea and I’d like to try to have a go. Problem is, I clear my spam filter too often so there’s hardly anything in it. I’ll have to leave it for a bit.

Another issue is that for some reason it spams anything I send to even a small group of people that includes me, so if I respond to an e-mail sent to a few people including me, and respond by hitting REPLY TO ALL, for my system that becomes spam. So I could use a lot of my own remarks – though generally not at all poetic ones.

Simon,
      Oh dear it’s troubling if our own comments go into the Spam filter! Ah, you are keeping up to date with your filter and I am jealous – I think I need to tidy up more. Mind you, it made for a fun poem in the end 🙂 I hope you participate!

3. Pingback: Spam Advice…

4. marsar2

This is an awesome idea! And I loved the poem you came up with <3.

Those spam comments can sometimes get… sort of funny… in a weird way! But it would never have occurred to me to make a poem out of them.

5. Maria F.

I get this type of spam all the time:
    “What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads.
    I hope to give a contribution & help other users like its helped
    me. Great job.”

I see them as masked lures to trap you.

Hi Christy…

I loved the prompt here and your consequent poem… Very creative indeed.
    Thanks for sharing and best wishes, Aquileana 🙂

PS> I tried my own version. Let’s see if you have something to point out!…

Aqui,
      Thanks so much for the entry you sent me and it really took my breath away. Such vision, dreaminess (within a dream, really) and love I felt as I read the words. That you took the time to craft that and send it to me means so much to me. It was a beautiful gift, from the heart. Thank you again! xo

7. Pingback: Weddings conducted via FB? | Simplicity Lane

8. kyrahalland

I’m not as creative as you when it comes to poetry, so I took my spam and turned it into haiku:

I do consider
    all the ideas you’ve pre-
    sented on your post.

They’re really convin-
    cing and can certainly work.
    Still, the posts are very

brief for novices.
    May just you please extend them
    a little from next

time? Thanks for the post.

Works pretty well, except for the extra line, though I think that kind of finishes it off nicely 😀

Off to do a blog post!

9. Pingback: Spam Poetry Challenge: Spam Haiku | Welcome To My Worlds

10. Dee

I loved your topic and how you wrote poetry covering those lovely spam posts. If I could write poetry, I would have joined in the fun. Enjoy your holiday, Christy.

11. The Regular Guy NYC

Love it. I have also penned posts featuring my spam. Good blog fodder!

Hope you have a terrific Labor Day weekend! Enjoy and have some fun. Sorry I have not been around in a while as I have had some family matters to attend to recently.

12. Pingback: Spam Poetry Challenge Entry | Old Road Apples

13. Lorraine Marie Reguly

Leave it up to you to think of a creative way to use spammy comments for POETRY!

I only used mine for a Slideshare presentation. 😉 LOL But it got viewed!

Nice challenge, Christy.

14. Pingback: Spam Poem #1 | POETRY PERFECTED

Brilliantly created Christy.. Now if only I could Read what my Spammer post… LOL.. 😉 I too trawl the spam pages, I had over 200 I deleted this morning.. Some I wouldn’t even dare repeat LOL.. 😉